Lletz, treatment and recovery - Anxoius

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I am sure there are many threads with a similar topic - so sorry for that, I couldn’t find anything recent. I received an abnormal smear for the first time in february (high grade, severe). I have since been for a colposcopy and biopsy, and now I am having Lletz this week. I haven’t had the results from my biopsy yet, they aren’t ready, but I am having the results and treatment at the same time - I am told most likely Lletz. I am very anxious about the procedure and I am really looking to speak to people who are in a similar situation or have already have Lletz.

They talk like the procedure is straight forward and painless after the local anaesthetic - Is this true? Is the recovery general ok? my Period is due less than a week after, and this concerns me, as I get heavy periods as it is - Is that ok? Ir should I have it after?

I am so anxious, i can’t stop worrying about it. Please share your stories! Positive vibes please! Xx

Hi hun. I have recently had my first smear that came back severe high grade dyskaryosis. I had an appointment for 2 weeks later for LLETZ. I’m now 8 days post lletz procedure and it’s not as scary as it sounds. It’s a little uncomfortable but nothing unbearable. I had no bleeding for the first couple of days, then started with really watery discharge and im now bleeding pretty heavily 8 days post procedure. Other than a few cramps here and there and hip pain I feel fine, just be prepared to bleed for a few weeks. Sanitary towels are irritating my skin a little now and I feel a bit sore but that can’t really be prevented. I haven’t got my results yet but just wanted to reassure you that if you do need the LLETZ its not as petrifying as it sounds. Hope everything goes well x

Hi,

i had my colposcopy and Lletz yesterday morning follow high-grade severe result from my smear test mid Feb i'm currently awaiting the results of what they took away.

After a very panicky wait for my appointment, my experience of the procedure itself was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it would be. All the staff involved in my treatment (nurse colposcopist, staff nurse and health care assistant) were amazing. They talked me through the colposcopy and discussed what treatment may be offered on the day depending on their findings, they listened and answered all my questions and understood the emotional impact the last few weeks have had on me, I felt fully supported, my health, comfort and well being were their main concern and I was told I could ask them to stop at any time if I felt a bit overwhelmed. The colposcopy itself was very mildly uncomfortable, just slight stinging from the solutions they applied to my cervix. after that was done they informed me they could see one area of abnormal cells and they could remove it with Lletz straight away or they could arrange for me to come back at a later date for treatment. I decided to have it there and then, I just wanted it gone from my body to be honest! before they started treatment my copper coil was removed (I had been informed this would likely be the case if treatment were needed) I barely felt that in comparison to having it fitt d last year!  They then began prepping me for my Lletz, the pain was minimal, I only felt a slight scratch (less than what you feel for a blood test) when the local anaesthetic was injected into my cervix. Th most surprising thing is the local anaesthetic makes your legs feel wobbly! i felt nothing at all when the Lletz was carried out and it was over in around three minutes. They removed the speculum and my partner helped me into the changing area to get dressed (my legs were still wobbly from the anaesthetic). Once I was dressed the staff nurse came in to discuss after care, no swimming, sex, strenuous excercise or baths (showers only!) until my cervix was healed which they said notmally is between 4 and 6 weeks. The nurse told me the results from the tissue they took would come back within 4-8 weeks where I would be informed if all the tissue had been removed or wether I would need further treatment. Once the local anaesthetic wore off (around 20 mins after I left) I began to feel a stinging/burning sensation in my cervix but it was bearable and I didn't need any further pain relief. now  the day after I have only felt pain if I've over done things a bit and I'm making sure I rest up for the rest of today! I have not bled so far and discharge has been minimal so they must've sealed the area really well! I'm due on my period in the next couple of days so as yet I can't comment on that part of it. Sorry for the long post but I hope it has helped put your mind at ease a little, I was just as terrified as you are but I wanted to reassure you that it will be ok and the pain from my experience (although every woman is different) was mild and minimal. I hope my post has helped and if you do want to chat about anything, I'm happy to offer a good listening ear!

Amanda x

Thank you both so much for your replies! It really has put my mind at ease about the procedure. I wish you both an easy speedy recovery and good results! Xx