LLETZ repeat?

Hi all,

Wasn’t sure which forum to put this in I’m sorry! I had LLETZ treatment on October 23rd (have severe dyskaryosis). I received my results last Saturday, but the letter didn’t tell me much information at all, it said ‘we may not have cleared all of the cells so repeat treatment may be needed’ of course this explains hardly anything to me, and if anything has me panicking so much. They have given me an appointment for the beginning of January which is quite soon, but I am abroad and cannot cancel my holiday so have had to switch my appt for February. Should I perhaps call the hospital and get more information? Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m 26 and completely new to this, any help would be great!!! Thank you!

Hi Layla

When they do lletz, they examine the piece they cut off and look for a margin of normal cells around the edges. It sounds like you do not have normal, clear margins. This does not mean that you definitely have severely abnormal cells remaining.
When you go for your appointment, they will do another colposcopy and look to see if any abnormal cells are left on your cervix. It may be that they got them all, or the ones that are left are CIN1 in which case they will monitor you. In some cases, if you don't have clear margins, any remaining cells are actually destroyed by the cauterisation that they do to stop the bleeding or, since you are young, your immune system may have cleared any remaining cells in the intervening 4 months.
If you do have severely abnormal cells left, they will probably want to do another lletz. 
Unfortunately, you will have to wait until your appointment to find out. In the meantime, try not to panic (easier said than done!)