Just been diagnosed how do I tell my children?

I’ve been diagnosed today with cervical cancer. I’m not sure the stage yet but I have 3 children aged 11, 10 and 6. My 10 year old is autistic and has trouble with his emotions. I’m unsure how to tell them if I tell them. I have phone meetings with their schools tomorrow to help get them support in school just incase but what else do I do for them? I cant think about anything else just yet because I need to be strong for them and make them ok and safe because I am all they have.

Sorry you are in this situation. My children are younger than yours and we decided not to tell them everything. I think it’s a very personal decision based on how you think they’ll cope and what they will understand. I think it’s important to be honest but in an age appropriate way. Macmillan can help, or probably Jo’s too, talking you through what you could say. We also spoke to school and they have been really supportive. They asked us to tell them what we told the children so they could be consistent with words too. I’m sure you’ll find the right words and your children will be a great source of love, support and distraction (as the waiting part is horrible).

1 Like

Hi Tasha, so sorry to hear your news. This is a good source of information for speaking to children https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/diagnosis/talking-about-cancer/talking-to-children-and-teenagers

2 Likes

I have 4 children, 22, 16,15 and 10.

1st of all I’d say don’t rush into the decision of telling them. I waited until I knew my stage and treatment plan.
I then told my eldest 3. We kept it upbeat but honest about how the treatment might make me feel etc.
We chose not to tell my 10 year old what it was as she might have panicked at the ‘c’ word. We told her that my womb- aka baby box- was now done having babies and it had become sore. We said I would have to go to hospital a lot to have medicines to make it better.
She was content at that.
I finished my treatment 2 weeks ago and I’m basically back to my normal self. Hopefully that will be the end of it and we dont have to say anymore anytime soon. I’m glad I didnt tell her, I didnt see the point of upsetting her when there was every chance that ill walk away from this whole thing absolutely fine.

3 Likes

Hi sorry to hear of your diagnosis. This is my first post on here. I got diagnosed on Monday! I have 2 children aged 15 and 9. 15yo currently do moc exams GCSE year.
Like others have said so far decided not to say anything until I at least had and MRI and a treatment plan. Don’t want to worry them with the unknown at the moment.
I know it’s a hard decision to make xx

Hi blueeyedtasha I was diagnosed with early stage 1B1 cervical cancer and I have two children iv chosen not to worry my children with the word cancer due to it being early stages iv had two lots of lletz treatment and iv had it done while my children are at school I’m waiting on the results of my second biopsy they took when they did the lletz. It is genuinely upto you how you go round telling your children if you feel you want to tell them. Me and my partner chose to tell them depending on what treatment I was to have to have and the stage. You know your family so you will know if they will worry to much. I just chose to have my children just worry about normal child things like school and stuff that kids worry about I don’t want them to worry about me my children are 13 and 7 . Hope this helps you make a decision and wishing you all the best with your diagnosis

1 Like