when is the best time

When is the best time to tell my two children age 12 and 9. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2011. Got the all clear now I am in remission. And I still have not them that I had cancer

Someone told me children fill a vacuum with fear. I am terminal and I have told my children gradually over a period of time. They are 12,10 and7. They have accepted the situation and are coping really well. There are lots of books out there, look at winstons wish on line. All the cancer charity websites give you ideas how to approach it. I found MacMillan and cancer research. I'd have someone with you for support. You will be surprised how amazing they are.

If you search through this site there are some useful posts....Good luck

Hi

Thanks for raising such a difficult topic, I know that this must be very difficult for both of you and, as you say, there is definitely help out there.

Macmillan, of course, are fantastic in a number of areas so worth either giving them a call or visiting their website

Cancer Research UK have this section about talking to children on their website which you might find helpful

And for slightly older children, Riprap are a great resource

As you also mention, Winston's Wish is a great website. The link should you wish to visit the site is here

Also, please don't forget that your local area should have services for children whose parents have cancer so it's always useful to talk to your local GP to tell you what's in the area as they shuld be able to help you.

Best wishes

Rebecca

Thanks for raising such a difficult topic, I know that this must be very difficult for both of you and, as you say, there is definitely help out there.