HPV positive long timers - looking for solidarity / advice / space to share worries

I totally get you is a bit annoying when they say is very common everyone gets it and has no issues with it well I do have issues with it and the fact very few people have issues with it doesn’t make me feel better makes me feel a bit useless and unhealthy
I have never been ill with anything else than a small cold have not even caught Covid and I have looked after many kids that had Covid so is simply very frustrating that my body instead of fighting the HPV ends up having cell abnormalities .
But at the same time I feel very lucky that we have a system that can keep a close eye on it and do treatment when is needed it, some women aren’t so lucky so yes is absolute shit to be HPV positive but there is a good system in place to keep us healthy take care and good luck .let’s hope the vaccine for people already infected with HPV comes out soon!!

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same - I work with kids as a head of sixth form and aside from stress - and sort of happy stress if you know what I mean because I love them so much - I feel super healthy. Never off ill, max half a stone overweight, don’t smoke, probably drank too much when was younger but not now so why can’t I do it! I am also praying for that vaccine - think it is called a therapeutic vaccine - and that;s why I am in the trial as gives me a sense of doing something at least.

2 Likes

Please keep me up-to-date on the trial and any information you get about it do you think if it works well it will be quickly accessible to the public? I am really hoping it works and it goes through all the burocratic loops fast :pray: the same way it happened with the Covid vaccine but well that is probably impossible just wishful thinking
Take care

1 Like

Sure thing - I think they would definitely want to roll it out asap but I have no idea on timescales or funding - will share whatever I learn x

2 Likes

You’re right in as much as you don’t routinely get called for smears after age 64, providing your last smear was hpv negative. If your last 2 smears were HPv positive, you would still be followed up based on that result - normally you’d have a third annual smear, and if still HPV positive, you’d be referred to colposcopy, regardless of whether ypu have abnormal cells or not. If your last routine smears were negative, but despite this, the superdrug test has tested positive, my advice would be to speak to your gp, let him/her know about your result, so that they can refer you to colposcopy/ gynae clinic.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I have sent the positive ‘high risk HPV’ Superdrug results to the surgery and they are on my medical records. I have asked for a follow up smear twice and been phoned back (by the nurses who do the tests) twice, both saying as I had one clear smear test after the HPV positive test not to worry it has gone. I then made an appt with the doctor to discuss and when I got there it had been changed to a nurse appt. with the same result. They implied the Superdrug test was unreliable and to trust the NHS one.
I am pretty sure I read the NICE recommendations should be 2 clear tests following positive HPV 16. (I only had had one).
I’m waiting for my ‘annual review’ to ask for clarity, hopefully from my GP. I’ll also ask to be referred for a test, even privately if I have to.
With HRT women can be sexually active for longer and I feel (if that is the case) testing should be available to 70 in our unvaccinated age group.

3 Likes

Weird update this end. So same week I find out I have ain2 the gynae I went to see privately about other issues who offered to do an HPV type test has come back and said they tested the cervix for 20 types of HPV and all clear. I want to be relieved and happy and am but also just find this whole thing so confusing and also a bit hard to believe ie you’ve had irregular smears off and on since 2007 but only tested positive 2020 and now it’s all gone but oh yeah there are pre cancerous changes in your bum :slight_smile:
I am speaking to the private gynae again putting more money on a credit card I don’t have but wqnt to understand it.
The only thing that has been different since my last HPV result is that, because of anti depressants I’ve started to take for unrelated reasons, I’ve felt much sleepier and had to go to bed earlier as I just can’t wake for work otherwise. I’ve also lost some weight on them and not been able to drink so gone from say a bottle or two of wine a week to nothing. Normally I wake about 530, leave the house at 630, work a full day, get the kids at six, do tea, husband does bedtime then we try to hang out but normally have to work / do housework. It’s not unusual living like that I know but I think been getting 6 or so hours sleep for a while since lockdown and generally knackered but in the last 6 weeks or so had to slow down and looks like in that time HPV gone… if it really has gone that is. I don’t know, does anyone else think their lifestyle affects any of this?

1 Like

Hi, just jumping on here to say that I think I’ve had HPV for a long time. In March 2020, right before the first lockdown I got my first colposcopy which I was worried out of my mind for as my letter had said there were significant changes needing to be investigated. When I got to the appointment the nurse said it wasn’t that there were significant changes but because it was the 3rd (I think) test that had come back with minor changes. When she had a look she said the area of cell changes was the size of a cotton bud head so didn’t need to take a biopsy or do any treatment, said I just needed to get a smear in a year to follow up. Well that smear came back high risk hpv positive with cell changes, advised to get another smear in a year. Got that follow up smear back in April, took 9 weeks to get the results of that which said high risk hpv positive and significant cell changes so I need another colposcopy. I got quite upset when I read the letter but then I remembered that 2 years ago it had said significant cell changes but that was misleading. So hoping for the same again this time but very nervous I might need a biopsy and frustrated that nothing has cleared up yet. I’m only 31 but have had a lot of smear results come back with changes. In fact, I think only the first one I had around age 21 came back clear. All others had changes that have then been monitored until they’ve cleared up. At one point I was on 6 monthly smears for a couple of years.

I’ve felt so anxious and upset and feeling like I’m the only one that’s experienced anything like this so it’s a relief to see others have had something similar (although I’m sorry anyone has had to go through this torment!) I keep wondering why my body isn’t clearing it? It makes me feel so helpless knowing there’s an infection that won’t go away and I wonder if I’ve had hpv for much longer than 2.5 years. I know we’re lucky that we have these tests in place to catch things before they become serious but one of my best friends died from cancer at age 16 so I have a huge amount of trauma around that and just being in a hospital triggers all those old memories and feelings of visiting her.
So my colposcopy is a week today and I just feel sick with dread and wondering what I’m going to find out. I’d told my boyfriend I would manage to go to this appointment on my own (I’d taken him with me 2 years ago) but now I’m scared that if I need a biopsy or anything that it’ll be painful and I’ll be too upset on my own. Just a ball of anxiety at the minute and looking for some reassurance I guess.
Has anyone had a second colposcopy where they didn’t need treatment?

1 Like

Sorry you’re going through that, I totally understand the anxiety. Why don’t you ask your boyfriend or another friend if they can go with you after all for a bit of moral support? I did have a cervical biopsy (many years ago for unrelated issue) and I would say it was more uncomfortable than painful. Ask if they will let you take headphones in and listen to music or a podcast to take your mind off it. Afterwards it was a bit sore and achey and I just wanted to curl up on the sofa and eat chocolate but I think also that was the anxiety of it all. Also, when they took my biopsy the results were absolutely fine so try not to panic if that is what happens as it could be nothing. Let us know how it goes!

I’m 31 too and have just had a second positive HPV result since this time last year which i think was my first screening since they started HPV testing. Like lots of you here I have been with my partner a long time (nearly 10 years) and found the initial advice really confusing and unhelpful which made me feel so anxious. Reading all your posts has been so reassuring that actually it can flare up after many years and it’s not like it’s been raging away for ten years. I got pretty ill with Covid before the vaccine was rolled out so I do wonder if that might be what weakened my immune system.

Interesting to hear about possible treatments (I know they are unproven). An added complication for me is that we are planning to start trying for a baby soon so not sure if I would be able to try any of them. I’m thinking of asking my GP for an appointment to just discuss all this, what impact it might have on pregnancy etc. but I’m worried they will just brush me off with the ‘oh everyone gets it don’t worry’ etc…

1 Like

Hi just hopping in as I find this thread interesting!

I tested positive for HPV on my very first smear aged 25 and have tested positive every year since and now I’m 30. So this is at least 5 years but I think more like 12 as that’s how long I’ve been with my husband.

However I had the HPV vaccine, I was one of the first year groups to get it in school when it was released. There is a chance it just didn’t work but there’s also a chance I could have caught HPV before I got the vaccine which means 15+ years with this.

I have such a good immune system - I rarely get sick so I don’t know why I can shift this. I started on AHCC last year and just had my yearly smear so I will report back on whether the AHCC made much difference.

I will say although I’ve had it 5 years I have only had minimal cell changes. At my colposcopy last year they said if it’s the same again this year they will remove the cells to see if this helps kickstart my body into clearing the HPV. Just anxiously waiting for my results :laughing:

1 Like

Hi,
I think I had HPV for 20+ years, I had CIN2 when I was in my 20s and when the new smear tests (the brush type) was used for the first time I got a bad result again. After a lot of laser and other treatment I ended up having hysterectomy for VAIN 3 in 2011. It was causing me so much anxiety and I was doubting my husband was being faithful as I was normal weight, eat healthily, non smoker etc. My consultant was really good and said " we will get rid of this" I didn’t really ever believe her. I started taking AHCC (Kinoko Gold - expensive but if you buy from US it’s much cheaper). She also recommended I get the HPV vaccination and my GP was very good and I had the vaccination at about 42 years old. I tested negative in 2015 for the first time and could hardly believe it. I have had vault smears every year since and all have been negative. Don’t give up - it can be cleared even after a long time

4 Likes

Just wanted to share my experience with all of you with the thought that it might help someone.
I was diagnosed with high risk hpv and CN1 in July. Had colposcopy in August and the results confirmed positive high risk hpv and CN1. I thought to give a try to AHCC kinko Platinum. So I took AHCC kinko Platinum 3g empty stomach early morning. Also took multivitamin, vitamin C 1000mg, Curcumin and folic acid daily for 3 months. Green tea twice a day.Also used Papilocare vaginal gel for 2 months. I had private colposcopy 2 weeks ago and the results are come back as hpv negative. I was so anxious and was taking antidepressants since July. Now I am so so happy and also left taking antidepressants. This is my personal experience which I am sharing and not paid for any positive review.Best of luck for all of you who have high risk hpv.

3 Likes

Hi,

I figure that I could have had HPV for 20 years now but only found out last year. This year I had low grade changes to my cells post smear and had a colonoscopy. She took a biopsy and my gp checked the hospital results and said no cancer (which is obviously a relief) but I had chronic inflammation. I thought my results would be normal / low grade / high grade but I just don’t know what the chronic inflammation means? Would appreciate any feedback from someone who has knowledge of this. Thanks

Hello doing my best i feel sorry about the ain2 diagnosis…i hope and pray for you will sort it out soon i have high risk hpv and inflamation / hpv changes diagnosis… would u mind if i ask you what are your symptoms and how did they diagnose you? I wondered why because recently i had an itching on the bum and doctor examined me and see no warts…she just its like fungal infection but im still not satisfied for the fact that i am high risk hpv positive Thanks and take care my lovely

Just itching really and also no warts but it was picked up in something called an hra which examines the anal canal closely. Hope all goes well with you x

@Doingmybest, @Bubbles2013, @Autumn, @Worried58yrold, @66yrsyoung, @Tinacolada, @Katy2, @Jjc59, @Rhi25, @OX31 and everyone else. Really encouraging that I’m in the same boat and I hope that you will all understand my rant, as I need to, so thank you all in advance.

I’ve been going on at doctors and nurses who do my smear that I’m concerned about HPV as I am unable to fight it off (although stupidly it never occured to me or crossed my radar that it is regarded as an STD). I’ve had verrucae and, having realised my verrucae had disappeared after nearly 50 years, found a wart under my thumb nail. They keep saying, ‘Oh, it’s a different strain’, but my argument is, ‘Same flipping virus!!’.

So, I had a smear 5 weeks ago (probably, at 55, the last one I would have ever had), my previous one just missing the new HPV test, and guess what? Not only was it HPV positive, but I had high grade dyskariosis for which I had an LLETZ procedure a week ago. I’m not concerned about cancer as I know it’s completely treatable caught this early, but I am soooo angry and I’m finding it really difficult to deal with. I had to leave my husband of 25 years four years ago and have had a few partners since then, so initially I’ve been angry at myself for getting into this position, but on reading the literature and your comments, it may be that my abusive X has given me this too and I’m angry at the medics for ignoring me.

I’ve gone, in three years, from a normal smear (always normal) to high grade changes (waiting for biopsy for CIN staging). However, again on reading the literature, it seems that oestrogen plays a part in changes, although has no effect upon CC itself, and I started HRT in May… I’ve asked the question of my menopause gynae and am awaiting a reply.

I really don’t want people to think I’m scarmongering but this is something you all need to know:

Oral cancer is on the rise, and guess what, 70% of oropharangeal cancer is caused by HPV 16, so I’m currently hassling to get my throat swabbed to see if I have it in my throat because it puts me - and all you guys - at high risk for throat cancer; it follows that anyone like us with long term cervical HPV and an active sex life will have HPV in their throat - and I see from your comments, @Doingmybest, you’ve already found the spread.

I am angry because this literally means I have an STD I am unlikely to ever get rid of which means I am not ever going to be able to find a new partner because I will infect him - can you imagine a profile on match.com ‘Looking for someone who doesn’t mind contracting HPV’? I think not.

I’ve also been told that the vaccine in the UK is only given to 12/13 year olds and I’m going to be fighting to be given that too. I want to try and find doctors involved in HPV research to get them on board because this is not on - being told ‘your immune system usually gets rid of it’, ‘it’s a different strain’. The nurse who did my LLETZ said quite happily there’s no treatment for HPV…

Sorry for the rant, but having escaped domestic abuse, given a second chance at life and hoping I may have been able to find some lovely, caring man, I’m not sure how that is going to happen.

3 Likes

Hello,

I was diagnosed with stage 1A1 cancer in 2019 and had two Lletz procedures to remove the cells which were successful.

I’ve have had a number of smears since and had abnormal cell changes on the first couple and then each time after high risk HPV present, just had my latest smear and still HPV positive after 3 and a half years so I think I am being referred to the next MDT meeting at the hospital to discuss what’s next.

Has anyone been in a similar position and know what treatment could be next? X

I’ve read that a hysterectomy can be offered which, of course, completely removes the cervix, end of problem - in the cervical area. I can’t imagine that HPV will disapear from the area, concequently still effectively having an
STD, and like I said in my post above, do you have it in your throat?

I’m at the beginning of fighting for this to be recognised, something doctors have poo-pood for years - everybody fights off HPV, it’s not the same strain etc etc. Be vocal about your inability to fight off this virus and the risk it means for other areas of your body.

Thanks very much my lovely .Have u done the hra in private hospital? I bet that test is quite exoensive then. The thing is ive been with 2 doctors for checking my bum they keep saying normal meatus mean normal anal canal but its really itching i dont know if its comes directly to my anus because i have itching also in my groin and around genital area…not sure where its coming from. Have u experienced this symptoms or its only around your bum area i mean the itchiness. Pls.help me on this . I am really sick worried about it.Thanks and take care…

Hi all. Im 3 days post LLETZ after 2 consecutive abnormal smears with HPV and mild dyskariosis. After first colposcopy i was told i have CIN2.

Ever since finding out i was HPV+ this time last year i have been freaking out. I have been with different partners over the last 7 years and not always used condoms due to being on the pill (i know, i know).

I cant stop it running through my mind where i may have got this from, blaming myself, worrying about being with my new partner (who ive now been with for 10 months ish). Can it get passed to him and will he have any issues because of it? If i ever fight it, can he give it back to me?

Im concerned that last year they said im young (was 31), fit and healthy, and should fight it off by the next smear, instead ive kept it and jumped from CIN1 to CIN2.

Any experiences or thoughts would be very much appreciated as i cant stop thinking about it :cry: