High grade severe, unsatisfactory colposcopy

Hi all

Received my smear result of high grade severe and was referred for a colposcopy a week later (last Thursday).  I've had nothing but questions in my head since and I know there's only 1 answer and that won't arrive until my Lletz results are through.

I'm still going to post though to see of anyone has has similar.

So I went for my colposcopy and the very nice lady said what she could see looked normal.  She did say however she couldn't see everything and that my colposcopy was "unsatisfctory".  She performed a lletz on the basis that although all looked normal she couldn't see higher in and as the smear said severely abnormal there must be something in there.  I'm now worried and confused.  How can all look normal but have a severe result from smear?  Unless it's higher up and can't be seen.  If this is the case it could have been there for years undetected by smears.

Has anyone else had a severe smear result but nothing detected on colposcopy?

hi, i hope youre okay.

i may be a little ignorant here but im wondering why they would do a lletz if they couldnt see anything on the colposcopy? I would have thought a biopsy or two would have been enough to send off for more testing. if anyone else knows more about this, then i apologise, but thats just my thoughts.

i have seen that some ladies get told they have these changes on smears but then nothing on colposcopies. they either get a biopsy or another check in a few months. 

im sorry im not much help. i really hope your lletz biopsy comes back clear x

Hi

I think they probably did the Lletz as she couldn't see all my cervix and was thinking there must be something hidden.  With the severe diagnosis it was pretty much assumed the Lletz was going to happen.

I suppose there was also the thinking that I'm done having kids etc so a more thorough approach was taken.

Hi, I'm in a very similar situation. When I went for my colposcopy. I was told my cervix looked okay but thats not  what my  the smear results reflect . I have ectropion of the cervix which was visable on the camera. My smear test came back grandular neoplasia? Which is normally in the canal going into the uterus (I'm led to believe). Would this be seen during a colposcopy. I had the lletz procedure 3 weeks ago today and awaiting the results.

I'm so stressed at the moment, one minute being positive and then the next fearing the worst. 

Hope you get your results quickly and everything is okay. 

smile

Hi Julie

Sorry to hear you're in this awful waiting situation too.

It's so confusing, my letter didn't say anything about what type just that it was severely abnormal.  Which makes me more confused as I've heard the same thing about your result and it being higher up.  If my colposcopy was normal lower down then the problem must be higher up, so why no diagnosis like yours.

Just like you sometimes I'm what will be will be, chances are low.  Other times I'm booking my will appointment and wishing I'd taken out critical illness insurance as well as life.

My experience is similar however I didnt receive LLETZ at colposcopy.  They performed three punch biopsies at colposcopy and then two weeks later I had LLETZ under GA.

I'm now awaiting the results.

Good luck.

Ok so a sneer is merely a screening tool and not a diagnostic test

a colposcopy means the dr can actually see what he’s looking at.  However everything can look normal but actually not be normal so a biopsy or lletz is taken so that a lab can analyse your cells

if you are older your cervix can be harder to physically see 

your smeer shows high grade but looking was inconclusive, your not wanting kids so no harm in doing a lletz ... if they did a biopsy and it showed abnormal they’d still do a lletz .  So you’ve just skipped the biopsy.

as to the “how long has it been there “. No one can answer that ... if you’ve had previous smears  and all been ok then you can only assume since your last one.

i have high grade cgin ... never had an abnormal smear ... ever... my trip to gynae was prompted by bleeding