Help, Useless vagina

Hello to all you brave ladies, you have been my inspiration and saving grace for a while now. I have been following this forum for 6 years, just joined today, and have never seen my problem posted before.
In 2016 i had a hysterectomy that should never have happened, restaged from 1B, to stage 3, then had chemo, radiation, 2 brachy. This has left me with a 2" vagina, and have been told that trying to have sex is now impossible, and not to even attempt it, as it could cause me to tear, causing fistulas and hemorrhaging.
I have recently reconnected with a man Iā€™ve known for years, and we are very attracted to each other and wanting to have sex. Heā€™s aware of my issues, and doesnā€™t want to do anything to hurt me, but, by god, i just want to be normal and have a sex life again .
I had talked to my Dr about a vaginal reconstruction, she says this is not possible for me, but never gave a reason .

I just donā€™t know what to do at this point, i feel so damaged and defective that I donā€™t think its fair for me to go any further with this relationship.
Has anyone else been told this by their Dr and tried to have sex anyway, and what was the outcome?
Thanks, Sharon

Hi,

I am sorry for what you are being through. I am just wondering have you used dilator?

I think that you shouldnā€™t make a decision for him. Sex isnā€™t everything. You might not have physical intercourse but you might experiment with other form of sexual play like touching etc.

I think that you deserve to be happy and I would definitely support to continue this relationship with or without normal vagina!!

Go for it Girl :muscle::muscle:

Xxx

1 Like

Hi Northernlight and welcome

I had the same treatment as you in 2017; RH for what was thought to be a 1B1 (old Figo) which turned out to be a 2A. Histology indicated a significant risk for recurrence so I subsequently had Chemo-radio + 2 brachy. My vagina is also very short. None of my medical team have ever suggested I shouldnā€™t have sex again; in fact theyā€™ve occasionally asked me if I was having sex and offered to refer me for psychosexual counselling because I said I was a bit scared.

I used dilators for about 18 months and the oncologist said it was OK to stop using them in that I was unlikely to get adhesions after that time, However, she also advised that if I wanted to have a normal(ish) sex life that it would help if I carried on with dilators. I decided to stop using dilators because at the time I couldnā€™t see I would ever want sex again. As a half way measure I changed to using a small silicone vibrator (nicer to use than dilators) on an occasional basis, albeit I havenā€™t used tit for some time.

So far Iā€™ve not wanted to have penetrative sex but if that situation was to change I think I would build up gradually starting with using a vibrator and maybe dilators, plus plenty of lube, and see how it goes. If that were to prove difficult I can draw on the advice Iā€™ve previously received from womenā€™s health physiotherapist - a GP can refer.

Iā€™m not an expert but donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t be OK to experiment as you see fit; if it hurts then stop. But donā€™t be pressured into doing anything youā€™re not happy about. You could also get advice on the subject from Joā€™s ā€˜Ask the expertā€™ service on this website.

x

1 Like

Thank you Maria for the advice. When I finished treatment in 2016 I was given a dialator, I tried that for a while, but it made me hurt so bad , I stopped using it. My Dr. was very concerned about me developing a fistula, said I was high risk for that. I started wetting myself at night when I was asleep, and totally freaked out, so stopped using it and have never used it again, or wet myself in my sleep either ! This was 6 years ago, and I just gave up on myself.

1 Like

Hi Jazza, Great to hear from you, I have read many of your posts and your treatment was almost exactly like mine. I also had the Da Vinci robotic hysterectomy, unfortunately the cancer was bigger than anticipated and they couldnā€™t get it all, so on to more treatment 6 weeks later.

Your advice about the vibrator and a little experimenting is a good place to start. I was married then , my husband was alot older, and we hadnā€™t had sex since 2007, so this wasnā€™t an issue. We are no longer together, and at a young 69 years old, Iā€™m trying to re- invent myself.

1 Like

Hi @Northernlight

I think if Iā€™d been warned by my doctor not to have sex Iā€™d want another discussion with them before attempting it. Fistulas are extremely difficult to live and deal with and a haemorrhage could be extremely dangerous. Is it really worth risking that?

Iā€™m speaking from the point of view of someone who also canā€™t have penetrative sex due to not having much vagina left. I would not even contemplate sex.

1 Like

Hi Lilypingu, Thanks for the reply, i do believe a consult with the Dr. is worthwile. Iā€™m absolutely terrified of getting a fistula, from what Iā€™ve read, they are hard to repair after radiation. I never though i would even be in this situation, contemplating sex again?? Maybe its time for a reality check. I appreciate everyoneā€™s advice, Iā€™ve had no one to talk to about such things.

2 Likes

Hi Northernlight

I agree Lilypingu has made a very good point about having another discussion, because of your previous difficulties and your Drā€™s advice.

My experience was different to yours ; I was OK with dilators (smallest plus next size up only) from the outset and for the 18 months or so that I used them.

As I mentioned I found a vibrator nicer to use, more comfortable than dilators. It might be something worth asking about in your discussion with the Dr. As far as my searches go, one of the smallest vibrators is the Immy from Jo Divine; size-wise I consider it to be equivalent to the second smallest dilator: https://www.jodivine.com/products/jo-divine-immy

x

Hi Jazza, I will definitely check out that site, sounds like a good place to start. I was given only a small dialator,about the size of a cigar, when treatment ended, and not much instruction other than turn it in each direction. I really wish I had been given some instructions on what to watch for as for any side effects. When I started wetting myself in my sleep, I threw the damn thing away ! I havenā€™t wet myself since, thatā€™s been around 5 years ago.

I know a few ladies dealing with fistulas where none can be repaired, so it has a hugely negative impact on their lives. But they were treatment induced rather than caused by sex.

Itā€™s a difficult subject to talk about in general, but if the doctor has said not to attempt sex, there will be a very real reason that it would be dangerous.

I only had dilators after radiotherapy with a view to ensuring everything was stretched enough to avoid closure and ensure you could still have internal examinations comfortably, so Iā€™m wondering how they would help if thereā€™s only a 2ā€ remaining? Iā€™m wondering how sex could even be a possibility?

In my own case obviously I donā€™t have internal examinations as Iā€™ve been sewn up inside and it would be impossible for anything ever to go up there!

Hi Lilypingu, When i first started with the dilator i donā€™t think i was so short, but it caused excruciating pain, it wasnā€™t like vaginal pain, more like gut and back pain.

I havenā€™t had any issues with internal examinations, but moved countrys, and got a new female oncologist doing my checkups, who was much more gentle and patient with me. Sheā€™s the one who said no sex

I guess this will be a ā€œwork in progressā€, and donā€™t think Iā€™m even going to contemplate good , old fashioned sex at this time .

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

1 Like

(I hope you donā€™t mind me chipping in, particularly as Iā€™m off the hook for surgical intervention for now - so really apologise if this is inappropriate for me to comment here.) But perhaps it would be good to ask for a second opinion - medicine moves forward all the time, and also ( hopefully) attitudes to older people both wanting or having a sex life ( Iā€™m 65 by the way).

The other thing is, people in our age group often have to find other ways around not having penetrative sex because of the very common problems older men have - but most often donā€™t admit to - so you donā€™t have to shoulder all the responsibility yourself.

I really hope you find a way around this.

2 Likes

Hi Jen, Thanks for replying, i agree with the second opinion. Its time for me to schedual a check up and vault smear anyway, so will definitely ask. Iā€™ve been doing some research on ā€œouter sexā€ thereā€™s some interesting concepts our there !! All is not hopeless !

3 Likes