First HPV-positive smear - did my ex give me HPV?

I’ve only had unprotected sex in two long-term, committed relationships, the most recent being because my partner had had a vasectomy. The smear I had after splitting up from him came back positive for HPV and I had to have LETZ. My previous smear 5 years ago was negative. Does this mean that my most recent ex gave me HPV? Should I be informing him so that he can either get treatment (?) or ensure future partners of his don’t get it?

We can’t tell you that - but either he did, or you had it previously and he could have got it from you. It’s extremely common. In the UK we didn’t routinely test until 2017/18 depending on where you are. I had a smear in 2017 and they weren’t testing, but in 2020 they were. To be honest though I would not put yourself through the worry of trying to tell men as there is no test for HPV in a man. It can only be detected when it is active, and this is (almost) always in the cells of a cervix.

3 Likes

Ah, I see - thanks very much.

1 Like

Hi jubs

I second what Jacks has said. Also to add that HPV can be passed on via protected sex, in fact any form of sexual contact including non-penetrative, shared sex toys etc. The important thing is to keep up date with smear tests and follow medical advice about treatment if required. Don’t EVER get complacent about cervical sceeening; unfortunately I did and stopped getting smears age 50y only to be diagnosed with stage 2 cc 10 years later!

x

1 Like