Does HPV ever truly go away for good

I understand that in many cases HPV can go by itself within 1 to 2 years. I have seen many posts of people getting negative tests after a positive and I am interested to know if HPV really goes away for good or does it only lay dormant only to possibly appear again at a later date. If someone is not sexually active after getting a positive test, surely it should not come back. I would love to know if anyone has had many HPV negative years after a positive test.

The trouble is we haven’t been testing for many years, certainly not in the UK. I had a smear in 2017 and they didn’t test for HPV; tested in 2019 and they did. As I had abnormal cells more than 20 years ago I may have had it active all that time, or dormant - I will never know.

Hi Jacks133. Thanks for your reply. Did you have HPV negative in 2019?

No, positive, and stage 3 cancer, sadly… but I completed my treatment in February this year. X

Sorry, the positive HPV test was in November 2020. Not 2019.

So sorry to hear that Jacks133 and after 20 years.

It’s very unclear. I’ve been with my husband for over 20 years, he was my first and only partner. I believe we have both been faithful. I’ve always kept up to date with my smears and they have always been normal until May this year. It came back HPV positive and cell changes. This was my first smear that included a HPV test. Since I’ve been in a long term relationship I can only assume that I’ve had it for over 20 years unknowingly. I don’t know if it’s been dormant and reactivated as it’s the first time I’ve ever been tested. I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago for high grade CGIN and CIN 3. I will get another HPV test in 6 months to see if I’ve managed to clear it.

1 Like