Desperately searching for Glassy Cell Carcinoma survivors

My daughter in law was just recently diagnosed with Glassy Cell Carcinoma of the Cervix and I’m desperately searching for other survivors and their oncologists. GCC is incredibly rare. The sub-type my daughter-in-law has occurs in only .07% of cervical cancers and it’s extremely aggressive.

Because it’s so rare, we’re having one heck of a time finding any oncologists with experience treating it. If by chance, there’s anyone else here with Glassy Cell I would be ever so grateful to connect.

Warmly,
Lisa

Can i post this on a couple of (private) cervical cancer facebook groups to see if anyone can help?

Hi Lisa

So sorry to hear your Daughter in Law is going through this.  There is a facebook group with lots of women worldwide who have had cervical cancer.  It's worth posting on here too. It is a closed group and posts do not show up in your normal feed xx

Search 'The teal ladies' or use the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/teal.ladies

Yes that was one of the ones i was going to post on for any advice

Hi Lisa :-)

Welcome to the forum. I have to confess that I have never heard of this before so I have been doing a little research on your behalf (Never a good idea to do it yourself!) I found an article that says this;
"Glassy cell carcinoma of the cervix appears to have a better prognosis than previously reported."
which I hope brings you some comfort.
Another thing to bear in mind is that most doctors are very excited about rare cases and patients are often treated with much more care and attention than those of us who fall into the run-of-the-mill category.

Do please let us know how you get on :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

1 Like

Hi i also have this! Was diagnosed just in last few weeks. I know your looking for survivors but I hope to be one! My doctor seems pretty confident and I'm no longer in the dark horrible place I went it to when I first found out . I am stage 2b glassy cell cervical cancer.

How is you daughter in law now. Assume she has started treatment. Would be lovely to hear from you. I'm Hannah Marie bingham if you want to add me on facebook as I don't check my emails that often. 

01.12.16 MRI

06.12.16 biopsy -told i has cervical cancer 

22.12.16 meeting with consultant reveal biopsy results as a extremely rare glass cell cervical cancer. 

start treatment in  few weeks

Hi Lisa and Hannah, 

Someone very dear to me is just diagnosed with Glassy Cell too. May I know what are your treatment options? 

Thanks! 

-q

Hi,

I've only recently joined Jo's trust so I am a very late contributor to this thread about survivors. Just to say I was diagnosed with glassy cell carcinoma in 1997 twenty years ago and I am still alive!! It was a big tumour that had spread into the lymph nodes too.

I now have cancer of the cervix again. This time the more common squamous type which has developed in the scar tissue probably as a result of all the radiation. So I have to begin the process again. However the important thing is that the glassy cell adenocarcinoma never came back.

Cheers, Karen 

To Petesdragon

In 2002 I was diagnosed with glassy cell cervical cancer!  It was a bad case the doctors told me to go home and get my affairs in order.  I was 23 years old newly married one year and no children yet.  Symptoms leg pains, bleeding and clots, pain in my stomach upper and lower and back pain.

I had chemo, radiation and radiation implants.  When they were putting in my implants they told me the cancer was gone.

I am now 40, still married and have adopted four children.  

Today I am writing to ask what were your symptoms the second time? I am sure you know this cancer is not detected by a blood test. I am having leg pains , stomach and back pains.

Thanks in advance

chandlers6

Hi Chandlers6,

Glad to hear you survived too!! I only had the most minor symptom of a few spots of bleeding. But I knew it wasn't right for that to happen all these years later so took myself to GP immediately. 

That said, I have been put in touch by the hospital  with anothat lady who was having total pelvic exenteration like me. She too had cervical cancer way back 2000 and she had symptoms very similar to yours. She had a  gut feeling that something wasn't right. It sounds a bit like you do too so I would get yourself checked out. It may be nothing but at least you will be reassured and have peace of mind.

Cheers, Karen 

Hi, i dont know if this post is still relevant.

i had glassy cell Carcinoma 2008, stage 2b.

im cancerfree still, i have not found anyoneelse that have made it this long.

please feel free to ask me anything you want to know.

and if anyone have made it longer please let me know, hugs!!

Hi Jenny,

I am still alive and kicking, now 22 years!

I am in touch with another girl from Jo's. Hers came back but she also had the exenteration and is doing fine currently. She is about three years post diagnosis now. 

Karen