Coming up to 11 years post treatment

Hi Just a quick line to say there is a normal life after cervical cancer, I know at times you think there will never be a day that you do not have a cancer head, but there will. All of us look forward to the 2 year mark, I think that is the first time I breathed!! And then the next goal is the five year mark, in between there are days you forget, and there are days when side effects from treatment, put you back into that dark place, for a while, but it goes.

I remember joining Jo's in 2010 there seemed to be so many more ladies posting, perhaps with the hpv vaccine cervical cancer is less common now I certainly hope so. I will never forget the support I had at the time from Jo's, it was a go to place for me, sometimes just to read other experiences, other times to join in conversations pick up tips, and laugh and cry together.

There were some sad days too I was diagnosed at age 63, and so many very young girls aged 22 24 19 lost their battle i felt guilty for living and them not even having a chance at life, I remember their names Midnight Sky  Mercomerco Charle veryscared. and so many more.

So here I am 74 still plodding on, the sun is shining the sky is blue and I am going for a walk up the fields to look at the horses, The best things in life are free just look around you x

4 Likes

How lovely to see you posting, thank you for sharing. I am so pleased to see you are doing well 

1 Like

A really lovely post, thank you for sharing your encouraging thoughts  ❤

1 Like

Lovely post! Thank you for coming back to share your story. Good to hear the success stories especially after so many years. 

X Maria

1 Like

Hi Katie63

Thank you for your positive post; I find your post very reassuring, given that I was 55 before I had any problems; like you I feel very blessed that I didn't have to face the worry when I was younger like many of the women on here - I also feel fortunate that my scare turned out to be less scary than they originally thought - my main problem is how to get rid of the fear in the back of my mind because of the discrepancy; I do feel much calmer than I did before and I think the end of lockdown may help me to move on. My heart goes out to those on you on here who have had to face much worse and many of you younger than my own daughter. I agree the best things in life are free and I now appreciate the good things more. I really hope that the HPV vaccine will help to make the numbers on here fewer as the years progress. 

1 Like

Thank you for sharing katie63. I needed to hear this. Glad you are doing well x 

1 Like

Thank you for your words of encouragement and support. 

1 Like

Fantastic to here! 

1 Like