Colposcopy today

Hello
I’ve been reading the forum since I got my letter saying abnormal result and have found it very helpful. So just thought I’d share my experience with others.

Smear showed CIN2 so went for colposcopy this morning. I was all prepared for possible treatment but they only took biopsies etc so back to waiting and possibly having to go through that build up again.

The actual colposcopy did not last that long - think I was actually waiting longer in the waiting room than the examination itself. The colposcopy was uncomfortable but I think it would be overkill to describe it as painful but I know everyone is different when it comes to pain.

For me, I think the worst thing is the waiting and worrying in advance. I did get a little emotional as I left the clinic and I’m feeling a bit tired and drained now, some cramping but nothing too bad.

Yes the procedure is certainly not pleasant and you do have to force yourself to stay calm and relaxed (if that’s even possible lol) but looking back it’s not that bad.

The nurses and doctor were lovely and explained everything and talked to you throughout which I think was also a way to distract you and keep you calmer.

My clinic was in Belfast. There was a screen in the room but they didn’t use it and I didn’t ask to see. As I said earlier my smear was graded CIN2 so I had worked on the assumption that they might go ahead and perform treatment there and then. But they said they would prefer to wait on the results as if it was borderline between CIN 2 and 1 they might monitor to see if the abnormalities correct themselves. She did say that the grading looked correct but nothing sinister which is good. A big part of me just wishes they had gone ahead and treated now rather than possibly later - but maybe I’ll be lucky and not need treatment!

So just a heads up to other ladies - my clinic went for the colposcopy / biopsy route first with possible follow up treatment to be done at a later date. Although I did get the impression that if it had shown more severe changes they might have done it then and there. But 2 step process for me. Apparently it will be 4-6 weeks before I hear back.

Hopefully this gives others about to go through this some help. I know I liked being as informed or as prepared as possible.

And if anyone is reading this who’s been through a similar situation - how likely is it that further treatment will or won’t be needed after an initial CIN2 result?

Back to the waiting again now for me. But still grateful we have this screening and care.

Good luck to the rest of you ladies out there!

X

hi There- I had this exact experience. My smear  result came back with few low grade cells but occasional moderate on the background of these cells. Very ambiguous! Obviously - completely the way I work!

i had a colposcopy and two punch biopsies to determine if I would need treatment because the nurse said after the colposcopy  abnormality looked low grade- so a watch and wait approach maybe worth doing.

The biopsies came back with cin1 and cin 2. which obviously matches smear result . Because it had developed to stage two i had to have a follow up treatment about a month and a half later. It felt like a really drawn out process because I had to wait four weeks for biopsy results and now I am having to wait for another set of results after the lletz procedure. the worrying and anxiety is the worst - I have health anxiety anyway - so for me this has been   Really tough. 

it really depends on what the biopsies come back as to know if you will have treatment. It may be that the initial smear was wrong and only cin1 on biopsy in which they will probs watch and wait. 

So much love and luck to you. 

the treatment and procedures arent bad- it's just emotionally draining and so tiring. 

8th June 16-moderate dysk smear result

24th June 16- colposcopy and 2x punch biopsies

20th July 16 - biospies show cin 1 and 2.

9th aug 16- lletz procedure

awaiting results - STILL 

Thanks Zoeelaina

I agree - the procedures whilst not exactly pleasant, they aren't that bad all things considered.  The worst thing is the waiting and trying not worry or dwell on what the treatment or side effects will be like.  This site and forum have been great though when you feel the need for some reassurance. 

Hope all goes well you too. 

X