Colposcopy/smear results - referred for cone biopsy

Hello, 

September 2020 I had a routine smear test which come back as HPV positive and low grade cell changes. I went for a colposcopy which did not show any changes on my cervix and the consultant repeated the smear. The smear results come back as HPV positive and low grade changes as with the first smear and I was asked to go back in 6 months. 

6 months later I have a second colposcopy and repeat smear. Again my colposcopy showed no cell changes but I bled a lot dusing my smear test and the results now show moderate cell changes and still HPV positive. 

The consultant now wants me to have a cone biopsy to remove the cells and then 6 monthly smears and colposcopies to monitor. 

So my question is, why is the colposcopy not showing any cell changes? Is that due to the position of the changes? I.e they are on the inner part of the cervix. 

Secondly, I guess what everyone wants to know, how worried should I be? The fact that this has gone fRon mild to moderate in 6 months scares me a lot. I have two young children at home and I am just overwhelming upset about these results. 

Many thanks in advance for your time! 

Sarah x 

Hi Sarah,

Have they mentioned CGIN at all (glandular changes) or changes higher up in the endocervix.  Ordinarily moderate changes would mean CIN which is present on the ectocervix.  Cone biopsy is normally done when there are glandular abnormalities but glandular is never graded as moderate, only low grade and high grade.  For peace of mind I would ask for further clarification from your consultant. Xx

Hi Sarah,

Have they mentioned CGIN at all (glandular changes) or changes higher up in the endocervix.  Ordinarily moderate changes would mean CIN which is present on the ectocervix.  Cone biopsy is normally done when there are glandular abnormalities but glandular is never graded as moderate, only low grade and high grade.  For peace of mind I would ask for further clarification from your consultant. Xx

Hello, 

No one has mentioned any CIN to me or GCIN. The consultant said it is because my colposcopy is clear but my smear is coming back worse and she can't see where the changes are, so would that point to it being glandular? 

very confused and the unknown is worrying me now! 

Hi Sarah G08,

I've just seen your thread and wondering how you got on with this? I hope you have found answers to some of your questions now.

Xx