CIN3

Hello everyone!

i had my first smear in 2014 which came back clear. Due to moving back and forth between two countries I missed the next one and had it done a few weeks ago (5 year gap). My doctor called to arrange an appointment to tell me in person that I have an HSIL which I’m guessing would be CIN3. She also unequivocally assured me it is not cancer. I have been referred for a colposcopy (still waiting for a call to arrange a date, but looks like a 6 week wait!!) but I’m not really sure what they will do on the day. With it being severe cell changes are they likely to biopsy? Will they just get rid of it all then and there? Can my doctor really be sure there’s absolutely no cancer just from the smear test results before having a colposcopy?

I didn’t expect it to worry me so much! I’m feeling dreadfully unproductive at work and seem to spend a lot of time just thinking about it. And mostly for some strange reason not fear of cancer itself, but fear of the disruption it could cause.

Any light that could be shed on what’s next in store for me would be greatly appreciated. Xx

Morning,

I had my first smear all was normal but do to having my boys missed the next few 7 years later i had my next one was told there was severe cell change (CIN3) aswell as HPV poss. Was sent for a colposcopy on the day the nurse who was doing it said she could tell by looking that it was CIN3 and not cancer she did take some small biopsy but sad i would have to come back to have them removed. I was sent back about 4 weeks later and had lazored removed, as far as i am aware some placese do remove the cells on the day some will ask you to come back once the biopsy come back. thankfuly the biopsy when mine were removed came back clear to say all changed cells had been removed i now have to go back to my GP in sep to have smear done again. I hope it all works out for you and wish you all the best.

Hello, I had my first smear in January this year and ended up having a colposcopy and biopsies taken which has shown CIN3. I've then had a LLETZ procedure done which has hopefully removed.

The colposcopy itself is just like having a smear done with the added use of a small camera for the nurse/doctor to see clearer. When they take the biopsies it is a little uncomfortable but it's literally like a pinch then it's over and done with. 

I myself was a worried wreck about it all but honestly it wasnt even bad. 

Stay positive xx

Thank you for responding so quickly! It’s good to hear from other people about it all and having an idea of what to expect. I’m feeling a lot less anxious about it, still wish I didn’t have to wait like 6 weeks for the colposcopy.

i think I really need to stop consulting Dr. Google!

Honestly dont worry about the colp its exactly like having a smear.

Yeah Dr Google isn't the best is it! I'm in a situation now where I've had the lletz done and ??removed all the cin3 cells however they think theres now CGIN in glands...I have to wait until after an MDT meeting where they discuss my case and come up with a management plan, a lengthy wait and dr Google just isn't good for the mind Haha! 

X

What is CGIN? I’m sorry to hear that you have to go through more tests and waiting! The waiting is the worst part I think. But hopefully they can come up with a good plan that gives you the all clear and peace of mind.

I don’t think it’s the actual colposcopy I’m worried about, I’ve been through far more painful/uncomfortable situations in the past, and I can’t imagine it’s any worse than having an IUD put in. It’s more the worry in the back of my mind ‘what if they find that it’s worse than they thought?’ I mean have there been cases where after a smear it’s seems it’s CIN3 and then after colposcopy they upgrade the diagnosis to early stage cc?

x

Its like cin but in the glands from what I can gather, like further into the cervix. 

Yeah I know what you mean, mine was low grade then all of a sudden cin3.

Its definitely the waiting and the not knowing. Try and stay positive until you get the results letter back. My hands tremble so much now opening a letter from the hospital  x

Ah I see, I guess that’s even harder to find on a smear test.

Hospital letters are going to suck, though I’m in Canada and it seems that everything is done by phone here? Or in person, like my doctor called me in for an appointment to discuss the results of my smear test. And I’m waiting for the colposcopy clinic to call me to make an appointment for that. It’s been nearly a week and still haven’t had a call from them. Don’t know if they will call me closer to availability or if I should call them and find out what’s happening? X

I would ring them, theres no harm in trying x