CIN2, 6 month repeat

Hi, just looking to see if anyone is in a similar situation to myself.

I am almost 25 but had my letter of invitation for my first smear back in May - I had my smear straight away.

Got my results in July as low grade (mild dyskaryosis) changes and HPV positive - I was referred to colposcopy.

Attended colposcopy back in August, cervix looked ok with a very small area of "green" on the digital imaging, most was "blue" which the nurse colposcopist advised me was good. Had one punch biopsy taken from the "green area"

Results came in the post about a week later with CIN2. In the letter I was told most of these changes go back to normal on their own and for me to attend colposcopy in November for a follow up colp appointment and repeat 6 monthly smear. 

I work within sexual health so have had great advice from the doctors and nurses here but I am still a bit worried as this was my first smear. Has anyone else had a similar situation to mine whereby they have left you to see if your body can clear the cells on it's own? I am expecting to still have to have LLETZ but would be reasurring to hear if anyone has been in the same situation as myself and what their outcomes were.

Thanks all 

Xx

Hi AD15,

Yes I had a similar experience of the "wait and see approach".

I had my first smear in May 2018 (4 years later than I should have been, as I kept putting it off due to being terrified of exposure and humiliation, which are linked to a phobia I have). Anyway the smear came back as slightly abnormal and hpv positive.

I was then referred to have a Colposcopy for further invesitgation in August 2018 and the results showed CIN2 and they recommended waiting 6 months to see if it would go away by it self.

So the next coloposcopy took place in February 2019 and my results letter said CIN2 and they had booked me in for lletz. At this point I still did not understand that a smear result and colpscopy were different, so if you had CIN 2 I assumed that was the same as the smear, just that theyd look at the cells in more detail.

During my appointment my Gynacologist told me if the results were the same or better, they'd wait and check in a further 6 months, as they knew I was hoping to start trying for a baby in the summer and I was worried about the potential complications of premature birth. So I called them to speak to someone and said my results letter is the same and I think there had been a mix up as I was told I could wait and see. So they cancelled the lletz without explaining to me that the smear results had changed from mild to moderate and were different from the coloscopy results which were the same at CIN2.

So a further 6 months down the line in August 2019, I have another colposcopy with yet another different Gynacologist and she told me things looked like CIN1 but to wait for the results of a biopsy. Anyway the results came saying CIN2 and that I had again been booked in for lletz. So I made yet another phone call but this time, they arranged for the Gynacologist to call me back a nd this is where I was told the difference between smear results and colpscopy results. I was so angry at the fact no one told me back in February 2019 that the smear test results had got worse, as if I had known this I would have had the lletz then and my plan to try for a baby could have gone ahead as planned providing the results of the treatment went ok.

Anyway I then went for lletz in October 2019 and I'm currently waiting on my results hoping they are ok. 

I'm also planning to get the HPV vaccine done privately, as I read some research around the fact that it significantly reduced the chances of any reoccurance of re-infection of the same type and other types of HPV. This was also confirmed by my Gynacologist and recommended.

I was originally told that CIN1 and CIN2 have a good chance of clearing up by it self within 2 years hence why they sometimes use the wait and see approach. 50-60% of cases clear up by itself, according to what is was told under 30 is 60% of cases and 30 or over is 50% of cases.