CIN1- my experience

Hi all,

This forum was an absolute god send to me when I was going through my experience. Not many women come back to this and share their experience I've noticed, so here is mine.

I went for my first ever smear aged 24 and a half in January. Safe to say I'm a bit of a wimp, and get lightheaded at the thought of anything biologically, basically my body is my body and I hate the thought of something happening to it. However, I knew I should go. My nurse was lovely, she put me at ease, my boyfriend even came in with me and talked and held my hand. 

I waited about 5 weeks for my results, when they came I'd just got in from a late night out and opened them at 11pm. Worst idea ever. I was told I had low grade dyskaryosis aswell as HPV, straight away I diagnosed myself with cervical cancer, and I heard my Mum upstairs of the phone, and despite her support, she too didn't really understand and was crying. I didn't sleep at all to say the least, I was googling and all I kept seeing was 'HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer'. I also knew a girl from school, who died at the age of 20 from cervical cancer. Who knew how long I had these flaming deformed cells for and also the added bonus of HPV! I blamed myself obviously and previous sexual partners who I instantly regretted.

This went on all weekend, I phoned the doctors on the Monday to see my nurse and got an appointment for the Wednesday. In this time, I received a letter saying I was invited for a colposcopy in 4 weeks time. Work kept me busy, and a lot of colleagues seemed to have gone through the same thing when I opened up to them, which did put me at ease.

I went to see my nurse, who said my diagnosis is very common and is not cancer. That's all I needed to hear really. She even shared her own experience of a colpscopy and my nerves did calm, however I did have my down days. What if they find something else? And obviously, for the next 3 weeks my mind played tricks on me...lower back pain, abdominal shooting pain, is that more discharge than usual?

The day of my colposcopy came, my Mum and Auntie (another person close to me who'd been through this experience) came with me. I was taken to a room where my nurse colposcopist explained what would happen. Basically a screen, which I couldn't see would be looked at, then she'd take a few biopsies.

I was taken to the chair of doom at that time, held 2 nurses' hands who spoke to me about some random things, which my answers were pretty rude too as my mind was obviously on the thing and person between my legs! The colposcopy itself didn't hurt, I was asked to cough for my 3 biopsies which did cause discomfort, a low ache through my abdomen. One of the biopsies cause a pretty hefty bleed, so it took a bit longer than normal as she needed to stop it..I hated my body come this point. Once she was done, I sat up looked at her, and she said, "I can see cancerous (she should have said pre apparently) cells but I'll be very surprised if I need to see you again. You'll he invited for a smear in 6 months at your GP-" Then I went for a chat with the nurse who was there, who gave me a biopsy leaflet and numbers to phone if needed, then another professionally whi shared her colposcopy experience.

All I heard obviously was cancerous cells, so straight on to the doctors I was and phoned my nurse again! She informed that my cells are NOT cancerous yet, but pre, different professional obviously say different things and don't realise the affect this has. 

Within the 4 weeks wait for results, I wore a pad for about a week then follow by my actual period. The first 2 days were just cramps, then came a horrible black/dark red patch which happened mainly overnight. Come 5 days in, just brown discharge and I thought I was good to go! I had sex, and everything was fine..until about 2 weeks later, when after sex, there was fresh blood. I phoned the leaflet numbers, who just said we've agitated the biopsy areas more than likely, but anymore bleeding to go in. 

I was put off sex for a good month, as I think any woman would, my boyfriend was so understanding but I can't lie and say my mood and lack of sex didn't put a toll on the relationship. I went to my local GP who felt my lower abdomen, which did feel to me a bit bloated, however she was happy that it was just agitation and to go back if it becomes continuous.

Low and behold it was not continuous! It's only been the past week or so I've gone back to my normal self and feel like the wrath of my colposcopy has gone! Everybody's body is different, but this is how mine coped.

I got my results 4 weeks later, which felt like a lifetime, which basically confirmed my smear, CIN1, to go back in a year for a smear at my local GP and that I was discharged from the colposcopy clinic. Halle freekin lulah!

In myself, I have positive days and down days but still never let this take over my life, as I know it's worse for so many other women and mine is just a smidgen of their experience. It has made me realise that we never ever know what's round the corner, so I spontaneously booked a 4 week holiday to Australia in July! I want to move out next year, and keep reminding myself that it'll be the same time of year my smear is due but I'll come to that obstacle when I get there.

I met many women a long the way who also experienced this, friends, colleagues, family members and honestly, I really couldn't be more thankful for my routine smear. Just imagine if I hadn't gone and 10 years down the line what the possible diagnosis could be...

Hiya thank you for sharing your experience which is very similar to my own. I was in pieces whilst waiting for the colposcopy which came back as Cin1, hpv and smear at 12 months. 

I've just had my 12 month smear and all clear and no hpv! I don’t know if this helped but I came off the pill immediately after my coloposcy as there is a school of thought it prevents clearing the hpv and paid more attention to my diet. 

Good luck and I hope it all works out well. Definitely changed my outlook on life too!