CIN 1/2. Awaiting LEEP procedure. Worried about impact on future pregnancies

Hi,

I’m 27. I had my first smear at the end of 2019 and it came back stating I had one of the high risk strains of HPV but no abnormal cells were found. I was asked to come back for another smear in 12 months.

I had the second smear earlier this year. It came back stating that I still had HPV and that this time, abnormal cells (CIN 1) had been found. A colposcopy was arranged.

When I had the colposcopy in June, a biopsy was taken. When I received those results, they came back saying I had CIN 1/2 and the LEEP procedure was recommended.

I am now awaiting an appointment for the LEEP procedure. I have lots of questions and haven’t felt that I’ve had any opportunity to speak to any medical professionals about them (I felt hurried through my colposcopy which was quite upsetting and I had lots I wanted to ask!).

If anyone can offer any insight/thoughts about the below, I’d be really grateful:

1. I’m really worried about the impact of the LEEP procedure on any future pregnancies (I haven’t had any children yet). Is it reasonable to be worried about this?

2. I’ve read that there are some alternative treatments to the LEEP procedure (involving freezing, lasering etc). I’m unsure if they pose less risk to pregnancy and whether the NHS offer them?

3. Is it unreasonable that part of me wants to see if my body simply clears the virus and the cells? I wouldn’t be saying this if I had CIN 3 but I’ve read that CIN 1 / CIN 2 can often regress and I’ve been doing things like eating better and taking supplements like AHCC in an attempt to improve my immune system etc.

Thank you for reading. Any thoughts would be welcome! X

Hey!

I had the same worry, I haven’t had kids yet.

So I had HPV- high dyskariosis, so got booked in for a colposcopy and a Loop ( Loop is where they burn the cervix to burn the cells away)

My biopsy was confined CIN3, I was offered a hysterectomy but I declined as I want children.

They then booked me in for a LLETZ under general, and after they informed me to get clear margins they did take 85% of my cervix, meaning when I do fall pregnant I will now need my cervix sown closed to prevent miscarrying and ill be classed as high risk, possible bed for most part my pregnancy.

Even if you are just CIN1/2 I’d take the treatments they offer, just so it don’t escalate go CIN3 as that does come with more complications for pregnancy. ( for me anyways, not all woman have 85% cervix taken lol) xx

Hey, i had the same worries before i had Lletz 2 weeks ago, in my smear results came back moderate dyskeryiosis and predicted Cin 2 ( which is where i was contemplating the watch and wait and see if it could go back to normal by itself and try for baby), after colposcopy my biopsy came back that they found all 3 Cin 1-2 and 3 present so they said i needed to get it removed, i asked about future pregnancy and they said the first Lletz shoudn’t affect having kids, but it also does depend on how much they take, with me having all 3 Cins i thought they would take loads but it was about size of little finger tip and i’ve only had mild cramping and discharge not much bleeding since, i’ve also got my period on predicted day and its only little heavier than usual so i am relieved its not as bad as i was fearing beforehand. It affects everyone differently and my advice would be to do what feels right for you .

Also its very reasonable that you would feel the way that you do, i did too. If my biopsy had came back Cin 2 i think i may have done the watch and wait approach but at the same time i’m glad the procedure is done i’m hoping my results will come back alright and i can forget about it for a while atleast

Hi Beckys,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you decided what to do in terms of treatment?

I’m currently going through the same thing: abnormal smear with low grade changes and HPV. I was referred for a colposcopy and biopsy and my results came back CIN2.

I then had a consultant appointment last week and they recommended I wait and see if the CIN2 regresses, and come back for a colposcopy in March 2022, where I will be offered treatment if it’s progressed.

They told me that they didn’t want to offer me the treatment at this stage as I’m only 27 and may want children in the future.

Hi @KJ21.

Thanks for your message.

I spoke to the gynaecologist to ask if they would consider cold coagulation or conservative management given my worries about risks to pregnancy. The gynaecologist came back to me and said they’d consider cold coagulation (saying there are less risks to future pregnancies with this).

Unfortunately, they can’t do cold coagulation under general anaesthetic or sedation (which I think I’m going to need). They are now suggesting a procedure called ‘diathermy’ which they are telling me is different to LEEP/LLETZ and poses less risk - I hadn’t heard of diathermy before but when I’ve Googled it, it seems to be linked to LEEP/LLETZ so I’m very confused! I’ve asked the question to the ask the experts on this site to see if they can provide more clarity.

It’s so hard to know what the best thing to do is!

1 Like

Hi! I was in a similar position, I’m 28 and have had persistent CIN1 for 3 years. Had my leep done on Wednesday under GA. I completely understand your concerns around future pregnancy as I had them too. In the end I chose to have it done as they won’t take too much at this stage and the alternative if it got worse could have a greater impact.
It is completely your decision, I would go with your gut on it. Always here to chat if you have any questions x

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your reply, and for sharing your experience. I do want the treatment but for now I’ve decided to trust the consultant and wait to see what they say when I have my next colposcopy in March. Hopefully the CIN2 will have regressed by then but if not I’ll have the treatment they offer.

Hope you’re feeling better after your procedure!

Just thought I’d update, I had the diathermy ablation under GA yesterday. I was a nervous wreck before it but have been better than I expected since having it. I had period type pains for about an hour when I came round but since then, no pain at all really (hoping it stays that way!). Also no bleeding as of yet either.

@KJ21 I did ask why it is that they said no to my request for conservative management when others seem to have it for CIN 2. The experts on this site were also telling me that in accordance with the guidelines, I didn’t have to have treatment for CIN 2. The hospital didn’t accept what I was saying though and said they would only do conservative management if was CIN 1 and always treat CIN 2. I feel like different hospitals take different approaches which is a little confusing!

The hospital told me they targeted two areas during the treatment yesterday. I didn’t get an opportunity to ask them if it looked like the cells were the same, better or worse than at the colposcopy which would have been interesting to know as my colposcopy was nearly 6 months ago.

I will have a follow up in 6 months… so hoping the cells have gone and don’t return! Hope it’s good news at your follow ups too @Yas @Bunnymom and the cells have regressed at your next appt @KJ21

1 Like

Thanks for the update @beckys! Glad your treatment wasn’t too bad, and that you’re feeling ok now. I have my next colposcopy in March and I think I will request treatment then if the cells have stayed the same (I’m hoping they have regressed though!). It’s interesting that the recommendation seems to differ from hospital to hospital - I will speak with my consultant about this at my appointment.