Chemoradiation in 9 days

Hi everyone,
I was recently diagnosed w/ cervical cancer stage 2. Have PET scan appt Thursday and scared they might find something worse. Please pray for me. I hope that everyone’s treatment is going well and are feeling good. Any tips and advice about chemoradiation dos and donuts would be appreciated. The drs have told me my treatment side effects shouldn’t be concerning;g but minimal. I hope they’re right….plz pray for me

TinaB

4 Likes

Hi @Tinabae hope all goes well with your scan on Thursday! I felt the same way waiting for mine and luckily nothing else was picked up! I was also diagnosed with stage 2 and finished treatment at the beginning of May. The treatment is very manageable and I was lucky not to suffer too much from side effects. I had a some bowel issues but the nurses are amazing and gave me stuff to help so let them know of any issues you have. You will also be given the number for the cancer treatment helpline which you can phone at any time (I never needed to). Other than that I felt a bit more tired. So just take it easy and rest when you need to! Hope everything goes well with your treatment x

4 Likes

Hi Tina, I am really sorry for what you are going through… I had the same treatment as you almost 3 years ago.the treatment is manageable but each person might have different experience. I was diagnosed with stage 2b and so far so good. You will get through it! Keep strong :muscle:

Xxx

3 Likes

Hi Tinabae,
I am so sorry you are going through this. In 2021 I was diagnosed stage 3 w/lymph node involvement. Chemotherapy in conjunction with radiation, then brachytherapy, and lastly radiation boost. The side effects for chemo and radiation are different for everyone but I would caution to just be ready for anything that pops up. I would make sure you ask the doctor/nurse for meds for nausea, diarrhea, stomach upset recommendations, diet recommendations, and self care recommendations. All of these will help you get through the to the end of your treatment, and beyond. The treatment “kicked my butt” as my oncologist said but did the job and I am in my second year of no evidence of disease. I am in the USA but the nurses here really helped me on skin care because radiation can do a number on the skin around your pelvic area. The chemo drug Cisplatin shouldn’t make your hair fall out but mine did thin the tiniest bit - of course, I was hypervalent on any side effect I may experience. Gut and stomach issues still are bothersome to some extent still but I am OK in working around them to the best. Mentally, this is hard. If you have access to counselors, do take advantage and ask for help. This is the time that you will feel you are being attacked on all sides and there is help to get through it. The best thing you have done is join this group. Everyone here is where you are and knows how you feel and are very helpful. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to work through the physical and emotional park of this journey. Once you start treatment, count down the days, take care of yourself, and know you will make it through to the last chemoradiation treatment. I will be praying for you!

4 Likes

Your story is giving me so much hope! I’ve felt so isolated and alone in going through this while attending university this summer. I decided to go ahead and continue my studies while receiving chemo and radiation for the 6 wks. Part of me won’t allow this cancer to put the brakes on goals, another part tells me to take a break and focus on healing and treatment. Hopefully the side effects won’t kick my butt too much, I may not get the ‘A’ in my class but I can finish the course. I guess I will find out as the treatment goes each week. I appreciate knowing how you managed the difficulties and everything you encountered during/after treatment. Thank you June

3 Likes

Tinabea, you are so right; you shouldn’t put attending university on hold. Give it a try and you will know what you can and can’t do. That is a wonderful “light at the end of the tunnel” for you. Take one step at a time. I repeated over and over, “I can do this, I can do this.” It helped. I had so much help from a great support group of people due to my beautiful husband of nearly 43 years dying of a glioblastoma brain tumor seven months prior to my cervical cancer diagnosis. Everyone helped me and lifted me up in so many ways. There were days that the grief was much harder than the chemo treatments. We are so much stronger than we think. Hang in there and take very good care of yourself.

Thank you for the much needed lift. Just finished my first week of chemo/radiation. The fatigue just hits me throughout the day, like having weights tied to arms and legs, walking upstairs is on 4! I changed my college class to online since I won’t be stepping out as much but you’re right! Gives me something to focus on …think cisplatin is kickin my butt. My chemo team really makes sure on Fridays my fluids and vitals are good and stock me up on meds for the weekend. I appreciate that so much. I want to cheer all the ladies going through this, stay strong and positive !

2 Likes

@Tinabae how you feeling now? Think you’ve done your second week of treatment x

Hi! Yes I’m in the thick of it now. Seems my cervix feels deformed and has shifted left during my radiation, I failed a pelvic exam last Thursday. The gyno practitioner nurse said she couldn’t get speculum to open my v up . Was surprised she gave up so quickly. Wanted to hav a comparison update but I don’t know she just gave up. Must have been a scary show. I’m def going to bring up to radiology dr what I think is happening, that there’s tissue adherence or something and a lot of bladder pulling pain. They would already know and expect something like this right? I did get Rx for pain and def know when I’ve missed a dose. Thank you for caring about how things are going ….