CGIN Information!

Hi everyone

I am new to this, posted a few questions but also read a lot of helpful stories that have really reassured me.

So for those that haven’t read my previous posts I had my 2nd routine smear on 17th sept all went ok and didn’t think anything of it as my first one came back fine. 30th September I received a letter referring me to a colposcopy as there were some abnormal cell found. 12th oct came and I had my colposcopy appointment. The consultant sat me down and told me that they found high grade severe abnormal cells and that they would like to remove them today via lletz - this was before she even had a look! Of course I agreed and went ahead with the treatment which was quite painful. The consultant then told me that I would hear back in 4-6weeks.

Today I received a letter from my consultant to my doctor explaining what she found and it detailed that it is CGIN and it was a high grade lesion.

Can anyone provide me with any information or advice/experience with this? Your support would be really appreciated!

Shireen x

Hi shireen

maybe i can help clarify this a bit better. Your colposcopy dr has sent a written account of what she removed via lletz. Cgin is the type of cells that line the inside of the cervix where CIN is the cells that line the outside of the cervix. What she removed was an area that had a thick density which is why it is called high grade. Now you will play the waiting game and see if they get clear margins from the tissue they removed. If the cells on the edges of the tissue are normal then you are in the clear and will be monitored if not you will be offered more treatment. 

Hope that helps you a bit. Try not to worry a lletz is an effective treatment it has a 90-95% rate of rem all bad cells. 

stay busy and don't think too much!

Sorry but it won't let me post could someone help me please Hello everyone firstly I'd like to say how brace you all are and what lovely support you give each other.  I need some advice as I'm absolutely petrified.  I had a miscarriage in May and then fell pregnant again straight away I also lost this baby at 15 weeks I went to labour ward and gave birth had lots of issues after needed up having 3 blood transfusions and a week later they gave me an ercp to remove retained placenta. When I was discharged I was told in 8 weeks I'd get a consultant appointment well o got a phonecall th other week saying they the gyne doc don't want to leave me until November and can I come next week I thought this was about the placenta but when I got there he told me the surgeon that did the ercp sent off samples and they have found my cervix cells to come back abnormal and that's all he said and that he has put a referral through for me to have a colcospacy as urgent.  The bereavement midwife rang me today and I told her and she saw the results on the screen as they haven't been sent through to my gp. She said she doesn't understand them but at the bottom of the letter it states that the doc tor that found the cells uasully uploads the results for the gyne to see on the computer but he actually rang the gyne doc to get me in asap.  My appointment for the colcospacy is next Tuesday so it's nearly been two weeks of worry.  As they haven't told me results and the appointment is quick I'm so scared it's cancer I suffer anxiety and am already feeling crap as my little boys funeral was the other week and I have four. Annie's to look after. I can't find anywhere about anyone having abnormal results after a ercp so Manet it is bad news please give me some advice xxxx

Hi Lolli888

Thank you for your message that is helpful. I have done my research a bit and read that lletz is more successful with CIN than CGIN...do you know of that is correct?

Sorry to hear you are now playing another waiting game - when will you get your next bit of news?

Hi JennYpink

sorry to hear what you have been through this year - it is not something I can imagine but always fear. i suffer from endometriosis which I have been told can cause problems with fertility and now I have been told due to having some of my cervix removed I am at a higher.

i am sorry i am not in the same position to you but I know that a lot of ladies who have abnormal results have their colposcopy appointment within 2weeks so that's normal and try not to worry.

the waiting part of the worse but they may give you more information at your colposcopy apptoinment. sorry I can't be of any more help! 

Hi again

its not that a lletz is more successful with CIN it is just that CGIN is 1.harder to detect 2.has been known to have skip leisons. Meaning a patch here and further up another patch of cells where as CIN usually is in one area. But honestly I'm not that famliar with the results of lletz success rates between the two types just that it is very effective. 

yes, I am once again playing the waiting game as I just finished my treatment in sept. I am going for an MRI in November and shortly after I will get my results to see if my treatment worked. 

Thanks for asking. I hope all will go well for you. 

Hi Jenny

im so sorry to hear what you have been through. What a terrible nightmare. Please do keep your chin up as I'm sure these abnormal cells are not cancer. It is very slim chance that it is. VERY SLIM. 

You will have more info when you go to your colposcopy and if you are having problems with some anxiety then maybe ask your GP for something. When I first found out about my cancer and was waiting for staging i needed some pills to relax a bit so I could function and sleep. without sleep anxiety will escalate into the abyss and you cannot cope. 

You are having a colposcopy which will allow them to have a really good look at your cervix and maybe some answers for everything will come to light. 

Hugs!!!!

Thankyou so much for replying it makes me feel a bit better about things it's just so scary when they won't tell you anything and mark it all as urgent my last smear 3 years ago was normal but now I'm panicking they missed something and I have got terminal cancer I know it's irrational but it's my anxiety aswell I have some diazepam I've been taking to help take the edge off   I just want to be ok for my four children they need me xxxx

Completely understand! i suffer from anxiety as well and thought exactly the same - how can it change that much in 3 yrs or has it been there longer and they just. Used it! I told myself it is normal to think those things and it is out of my control. one of my favourite sayings is - worrying won't change the outcome. i know it's not greatly positive but it is true. i could sit here and make myself ill or i can get on with things and the results will still come back the same so I chose to just get on with things. dont get me wrong I think about it all the time and most evenings I am on this forum reading or talking to people to re assure myself but that's just how i am dealing with it and I know everyone is different.

do you have a good friends and family support network? 

That's. Dry very true my life has become obsessed with this at the minute my family are really supportive But now I'm thinking ive got pains now and things I've missed in the last 3 years it's horrible xx

i recieved a later saying im high grade servere and iv got my examination tomorrow. on a scale of 1-10 hpw painful was it?? looks like ill be having the treatment and im trying to get prepared for this but i cant :( when i had my smear i was suffering from jet lag i was very run down coldsoars all iver my mouth and i skiped my period. i did come on when i finished my pill. is there any chance of the abnormal cells dissapearing now that i come on my period and and that im not run down any more??? x

Hi Louise 

unfortunatly the abnormal cells would not just disappear with the onset of your period or the fact that you feel better. Even with moderate cells it takes up to a year or longer to heal.  The fact that you have sevear abnormalities means you need a treatment to remove them. They will put a vinager like solution on your cervix to see how big the area is and detirmine what will be next. If the area can be treated easily with a lletz they will do it right there and then. I didn't find it hurt at all but everyone is different. If the area is to big to remove comfortable with just LA then they will schedule you and give you GA and remove the cells. 

I suggest you read about lletz procedures from other posts and you can get a better idea of what you might be facing and know the side effects after so you will be aware. 

i do wish you the best for your appointment!

Hi Louisr

i agree with loll - everyone is different. The LA didn't fully work for me and I did experience some pain but it is bearable and only lasts for a short time. Definitely read up about the procedure and what happens after so you can get your head around it - i found that really helped me. 

I had pains for the rest of the day on the procedure and bleeding but then it changed to a discharge whi B is normal but can last a while. 

try not too worry too much before tomorrow as you don't know what they will say x