CGIN and LLETZ

I wanted to share my recent experience after poring over every post I could find about CGIN and not finding many positive stories. I am 28 yrs old, my first smear at 25 found low grade changes and colposcopy found no changes so I was discharged back to my gp.

I had my routine 3 yearly smear on the 28th of August 2020. On the 15th of september, I received a letter stating I had high risk HPV with severe dyskariosis. I had a colposcopy appointment on the 18th of September at which they said the changes were barely visible and took a punch biopsy. In mid October, I received a telephone call to say the biopsy only showed CIN1 and as there was such a disparity between the smear and the biopsy, I had to go back to colposcopy for further investigation. I had my next appointment on the 22nd of October where a LLETZ procedure was carried out. This was fine albeit not pleasant, unfortunately I had an infection from it and needed a course of antibiotics. In December 2020, I received a letter stating CIN2 was found in the LLETZ biopsy and a possible focus of abnormality in the glandular region which had all been removed. As there were some glandular changes, my case was referred to the multidisciplinary team meeting as per policy to be discussed. Another letter was received on the 22nd of January 2021 advising that there was the presence of CGIN and this had been completely excised so my next smear would be 6 months after my LLETZ. I went for my test of cure smear at the colposcopy clinic on the 28th of April 2021 and have received the news today that my smear was normal and negative for HPV. I have been discharged back to my doctors with my next smear due in May 2022. This has provided a huge amount of relief as although I have 1 child, I have not yet finished my family and panicked that this opportunity may have been taken away from me. I have been told I can try to conceive immediately if I wish. 

I have struggled to find much information on CGIN treatment and so wanted to share my experience.

Thanks for reading,

Katie

So lovely of you to share your story. Thanks Katie x

That's great news my daughter with young babies had the same cgin in February and will have a check up in august. I am praying for the same result as you . Her lletz was successful she had great treatment very quick and I hope with regular monitoring all will be well ,best wishes to you x 

That's great news my daughter with young babies had the same cgin in February and will have a check up in august. I am praying for the same result as you . Her lletz was successful she had great treatment very quick and I hope with regular monitoring all will be well ,best wishes to you x 

Hi Mabel,

Thank you, I hope your daughters check up goes well, it's such a worrying time waiting for results isn't it. I feel like I've been in limbo since getting the initial letter in september. I must have spent hours searching for cgin stories and kept seeing 'hysterectomy' which I found really distressing. 
Thank goodness for smears and our amazing teams at colposcopy!

Keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter x