Cancelled colposcopy and Im terrifed.

Hi, I had been putting off a smear for various reasons and decided enough was enough and I went and had one way too late I know. Im 42. Spent the week wait in bits but appointment was good and it was done in no time. I never thought the results would be anything but clear. This was the beginning of December. I didn't get my results until early January and it said I have high risk hpv and some cell changes-low grade dyskaryosis and to make an appointment for a colposcopy. I rang straight away and got an appointment. I have been beside myself with worry and not sleeping. Then I got a letter to say it had been cancelled and they would be in touch shortly. I have been worried sick ever since. I don't know much about what is happening or what the outcomes are and I don't want to reach out to Dr Google because I know what a slippery slope that can be. Should I be overly worried? 

I have only just got my colposcopy appointment ...and when it does come around it will be almost 8 weeks after referral I think everything is backed up because of covid. Its such a long wait for me , and I hope you get a new appointment soon. I can't be much help as I was referred after an internal exam to look for a lost coil by my gp. 

Can I ask if you had any symptoms before your smear ? 

As far as cervical cell abnormalities go low grade dyskaryosis is one the best results to have - no promises and it depends what the colposcopy shows, but at that level there is a reasonable chance the cells may revert to normal of their own accord.  Nevertheless I can totally understand that this is an anxious time for you and not helped by having your colposcopy appointment cancelled, albeit a reasonable delay is very unlikely to negatively impact your medical outcome.

I'm guessing that some of the way you are feeling is to do with you regretting that you put off getting your smear but the important thing is that you got one done so allow yourself some credit for that; it's even possible that delaying your smear did you a favour - it might have been completely normal a couple of years back say and maybe you'd be putting it off now for several years. 

Well done for staying away from Dr Google it really doesn't help in this type of situation. As to your question if you should be overly worried - well knowing what I know now and after what I've been through since 2017  (see my back story) I'd think I was in clover if I'd had the type of results you have right now.

Hope all goes well for you.

x

Hi, 

I had the same results as you and had my colposcopy yesterday. I was really worried and anxious too. I managed to get a cancellation so might be worth trying to give them a call and see if you can get booked back in? It showed very minor changes and she took a tiny biopsy. The consultant said she wasn't concerned. They explained they are looking for abnormal cells that could in many years lead to cervical cancer and having a cervical screen result like ours is really common. I know it's hard but try not to worry x 

Hi lovely, 

have you heard anything yet? I had my colposcopy and biopsy done in December 2020 but I had my first smear back in August 2020 so it was a long wait to get it done I got a letter that was wrongly sent aswell saying I had to contact them about it so if you get a letter like that I wouldn't put that stress on yourself as they will contact you eventually. I know it's so easier said than done but try not to worry or panic, have you had a colposcopy before? If you ever want to talk more about it you can message me xx