Can no longer eat normally - radiation damage to both small and large intestine.

Hi,
My name is Fiona. I underwent treatment for stage 2b cervical cancer in 2017. After a promising first six to nine months post treatment things started to go downhill relatively quickly. The upshot of my situation now is that I have difficulty digesting food (two slices of toast in a day is an achievement). I am also taking elemental supplement drinks and can at most manage one or two of these a day (200 calories per drink. I am 177 in height and currently weigh 39 pounds.
It transpires that I have radiation damage to both my small and large intestine.
Life is a little bit of a misery at the moment as I am ill almost every week (vomiting bile, unable to digest anything, even liquids for days, physical weakness, etc…
I’m wondering if there is anyone on the forum that has experienced the same thing. If there is I would love t hear from you.
Thanks.
Fiona

There are a few ladies with prd and bile acid malabsorption issues, try doing a search for Pelvic Radiation Disease here or visit this site

https://www.prda.org.uk

Good luck

Hey lovely, 

i didn’t want to read and run, I’m so sorry you’ve having a terrible time, I hope that someone posts soon to offer you some hope xx

39 pounds? Is that a typo? I am seriously hoping.

Have they discussed the possibilities of parental nutrition with you for a while to give your poor system a rest?

Karen x 

I assumed she meant 39 kilo. Which also is very little ,but 39 pounds doesn't seem possible to me

Hi I finished in June 2018 and have bile acid malabsorption. I'm on meds now but still need to eat a low fat diet. I'm down to 7stone which is not good. 
request a sehcat scan as I know a few people with this diagnosis. If you get a more specific diagnosis meds could help

Hiya Ladies;

I have the same problem :(. Damn Pelvic radiation disease. I finished treatment 10 years ago and my bowel problems have just gotten steadily worse; most notably in the last 3 years. 

I was meant to go to a "late effects of Radiotherapy" programme at my local Hospital this Spring, but of course now due to the poxy Covid 19 pandemic, that's been scuppered. :(

I used to be able to control it with a careful diet but now it doesn't matter what I eat, I'll get attacks of diarrhoea, cramping and urgency for no reason at all; sometimes just from eating anything :( .

It's extremely frustrating! It starts to affect all aspects of your life worrying about your damn bowels all the time. I'm a competitive Horse rider, work outdoors, and enjoy hiking and all sorts of outdoor pursuits (though not much during lockdown! lol ), but this really gets in the way :(.

I have discussed these issues with a few other people who have similar problems (in other online 'cancer groups'), but have never really found anyone who's been able to fully address this problem! Is there no way we can fix this?? :/

Has anyone really been able to avoid the daily diarrhoea, urgency, crampy pain and wind from this condition and move on with her life?? :o