Biopsy inadequate for assessment

I’m 29 and had my first smear in November last year - I know I missed several but life got in the way and I was just putting it off because I was nervous about it

Got the results back 2/3 weeks later high grade abnormal cell changes (can’t spell what they’re called) and an appointment arrived in the post the next day for the following week to have a colposcopy done.

During the colposcopy 2 patches were found one less severe than the other.
The more severe patch was larger in size and sitting almost underneath my cervix.
She decided it would be best to do a biopsy and refer me to see the consultant once the results were back - she said because of the place it is sitting it can be more uncomfortable/painful under local anaesthetic and would probably need to be done under general anaesthetic

I got the results in the post today saying that the sample was inadequate for assessment but cell changes had been detected along with an appointment letter for the 5th Feb to see the consultant or one of his team

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else had treatment where they were told the location may cause discomfort or pain?

I’m really nervous and quite frankly don’t want to have it done again - although I will because I have 2 kids to think about - I found the first colposcopy awful I was so scared and shaking on the verge of crying (I feel like a wimp) and came out feeling like I never wanted to experience that again

Thanks in advance x

Hi hun so sorry that this has happened as my old nana would say it's a bugger. The cervix is a bit like a tube that protrudes down into the vagina and depending on where the affected areas are they may be more difficult for the colposcopist to get at and so be more uncomfortable so a general anaesthetic may be a good idea so that good specimens can be obtained. Remember your breathing techniques from labour when you see the consultant. Take care and good luck x

Hi, I received my biopsy letter and it said 'inadequate for assessment, although no abormalities found'. My smear was high grade (moderate) with HPV positive. 

how did everything turn out for you after the inadequate biopsy? I'm having a phone call from the hospital to discuss as the information is lacking but ultimately the letter says see you in 3 months!!