"at least" AIS

Hello Ladies!

So in August I had an abnormal pap that came back with atypical glandular cells nos. About 2 weeks after I had a colposcopy with the results coming back as “at least AIS”. . I met with my gynecologist on Tuesday of this week and he is very very interested in saving my fertility since I’m only 33 and is saying the ckc is the route he would take. Im going to see my gyn. onc. for the first time on the 25th for a second opinion also going for a CT next week Friday.

My question is have any ladies have “At least AIS” come back as a diagnosis and how did it turn out? Im in a very grey area right now and could any guidance that you all have❤️

Hi Lauren,

I had this. My Gyno found the abnormal glandular cells and sent me for CT scan saying it’s In Situ. At that point in was a bit relieved and encouraged especially when the CT scan came back clear and biopsy came back clear. Unfortunately all of that was incorrect. I was lucky I was referred to a gyno oncologist anyway just to rule out cancer for good, and he eventually found it after a surgical biopsy because his initial exam room biopsy also came back clear. I was even called by my gyno with huge congratulations on not having cancer before surgical biopsy was scheduled. Anyway, I did have stage 2 Adenocarcinoma. Adenocarcinoma is a hider. It likes to stay way up high near the uterus. It’s a tricky beast for sure. My instincts always told me I had invasive cancer once the in situ was found, so I wasn’t at all surprised even though I had gotten congratulations on not having cancer. Moral of the story is—be very careful if they say only in situ and maybe even get a second opinion if it’s not initially found. I’m doing well 6 months after chemorads but you do not want to put your body through it at all if the difference is just getting a second opinion. At best it’s a treatment that is successful but very hard on your body. Good luck and fire away with any questions if you have them :heart:

1 Like

Hi Lauren!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are dealing with all of this, it’s not anything we’ve deserved or wished to happen. I hope it turns out well for you and that your treatment can be non-invasive.

I also had this being said to me. First AIS and then later “at least AIS”. The end result (I found out only after the hysterectomy) was 1b2 adenocarcinoma. So it was invasive cancer. What Lovewinz mentioned about it hiding high up was very true in my case. Sorry our answers haven’t been “more optimistic”. It was a suprise to me when I was treated how much unknown there is even with biopsies and other methods.

Take care and a lot of strenght for your journey!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply! Im so upset that I havent had any clear answers right now the waiting game is the hardest thing about all of this! When I met with my gynecologist he seemed very optimistic about everything but I’m very doom and gloom :pensive:. .I have my ct on Friday and meet with my gyn. onc on Monday of next week to figure out my next steps! Im glad your doing better​:heart:

sidenote: I just have a couple questions did you have a colposcopy? also did you have any symptoms?

Thank you for responding! Did you need to do treatment or was the hysterectomy all the treatment you needed? I have two kids already I wasnt thinking about anymore in particular but its sad that the hysterectomy will be so final for me.

Hi Lauren,

living with the unknown is so hard. I had lots of anxiety and sleeplessness during the diagnozing and treatment part of my path. Going to the scan and especially after that waiting for the doctor’s appointment to hear the results was so grueling. In the end my doctors decided that the hysterectomy & sentinel lymph node removal was enough, I did not have chemo or radiation.

Take care!

1 Like