Abnormal Vault Smears

Hi, 

I am new here and I am hoping to connect with people to offer my support and to hopefully obtain some advice/support on my current situation. 

I will give a brief background on myself and I will be happy to expand on it and offer any advice/support in relation to this if anyone wants to ask any questions or wants more information. At the age of 18, 1998, I was first diagnoised with abnormal cells and from then until 2015 I had quite a few treatments for the cells including numerous laser treatments. In 2015 my gynocologist advised that the cells had returned and owing to the amount of treatment I had had my cervix was so scared that the laser treatment would not be effective and recomended a hysterectomy. I had a hysterectomy In September 2015 keeping my ovaries. At my 6 month follow up vault smear I was then advised that the cells had returned and I have since then had laser surgey on my vaginal wall twice (2016 and 2017). My smears in 2018 and 2019 came back as normal which was fantasic news as i really believed we had done it. 

I was due to have my routine vault smear in September 2020 however owing to the pandemic I did not have this whilst the 25th January 2021. After waiting just over 6 weeks I a received my results on Wednesday advising that the mild changes have been detected and that my consultant will be dicussing my case at an MDT on 9th April 2021 and he will write to be after this to advise on next steps. As you will undertand I am feel quite upset as i thought it was going to be third time lucky and after going through this since I was 18 (i am now 41) its hard to hear its starting again. 

I am strong and will deal with needs to happen and fight this again but just wondered if anyone has been in a simular position with regards to the vault smears. About 6 months ago i started getting lowing back pains but thought it was that we needed a new bed, we have new bed and these pains are continuing. It sometimes feels like a lot of presure and if i go to toilet it eases. Its hard to describe as its not there all day. Could this be to do with the cells or am I reading to much into it. 

Also given that i was told owing to the amount of treatment on my cervix it had become scarred that treatment wouldnt work, how many lasers could I have on my wall before it becomes scarred and the teatment will not work. What other options could they consider. 

Any advice would be fantasic and also if anyone has any queires with regards to my past experience then please dont hesitate to ask. 

Maria xx 

Dear Maria,

I don't know in answer to your question but wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Have you thought about using the ask an expert option on this website? They might be able to help. Or even ringing the helpline. I've found it really helpful talking things through. Like you, I've had problems from HPV for many years. It first showed up on a smear test when I was about 23. I'm now 39 and just had treatment for abnormal cells which turned out the have a small amount of cancer in it. I'm sorry to hear you've had to go through so many treatments. I hope you get answers from your consultants soon. Xx

Hi Maria,

I am so sorry you've been dealing with this for 23 years now, I can only imagine the strength that you've had to find from within yourself. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice and my experience has been different. But I've just had my first vault smear and there was some bleeding, just a little, and I dont think this is normal. So I'm very worried now. Did you experience any spotting after your vault smears? 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and I hope all goes well for you at the MDT xxx

Hi Maria,

I am so sorry you've been dealing with this for 23 years now, I can only imagine the strength that you've had to find from within yourself. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice and my experience has been different. But I've just had my first vault smear and there was some bleeding, just a little, and I dont think this is normal. So I'm very worried now. Did you experience any spotting after your vault smears? 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and I hope all goes well for you at the MDT xxx