3 years post treatment

Hi All,

I haven’t posted in a very long time but do come on once in awhile to scan through posts.
I wanted to share how I was doing.
I’m three years post treatment and life has pretty much gone back to normal mostly between my 6 maths appointments. I almost forget that cancer was apart of my life when I am busy with daily tasks and have no ailments.
Still dealing with some minor issues, such as stiff hips in the morning and menopausal issues.
I stayed on my prescription for just over 2 years that helped me with nerve pain in my feet caused by the chemo but also helped me big time with hot flashes from being thrown into menopause but the pain finally is gone in my feet and the hot flashes are few. My only issue is the night sweats so my fan is my new soul mate when I am asleep. Lol.
I still am being monitored by a urologist for thickening of my left ureter but so far it is just watching to see as my kidney has seem to be adjusting to the slower draining.
My oncologist is having me back in for another scan in March and if all is well he will move me to 1 year appointments.
I do have issues with inflammation on my urethra and have recently started a topical cream. No burning or stinging but tender and can be very sore, especially after being intimate. I
Hoping this topical cream will do some magic so I can ride a bike again without paying a price.

I remember early days after treatment and I felt I would never be the same but I pushed through it. Two steps forward but 1 step back… but slowly I moved forward.
Just wanted to say to all you ladies that it does get slowly better.
I might be like an 80year old lady when I first get up but by an hour I’m back to the hustle and bustle of life.
I try to avoid taking anything but will admit that Advil is my best friend some days even though I know it is not good for my kidneys but would rather enjoy life then worry about that too much.
Hope you all are smiling!

1 Like

Reading this means so much to me. I am almost done with my treatment (2B, 6 chemo, 25 rads and 2x2 overnight brachy) and I am so scared. 

My mri last monday prior to my first brachy and last chemo plus 3 radio had shown a 97% shrinkage of my tumor but the idea of my treatment ending in three days is so scary. 

Your posting gives me hope that there Will be a New normal instead of this horrible cancer life which took over for me this summer.

thank you for returning here and giving hope 

Your story is really similar to mine. Had a c section for my fifth child because I didn’t dialate. Kept having spotting and discharge and thought this was due to the c section. Went in for a check up after 4,5 months and found cervical cancer that same day 

Lolli

Thank you for this post I’m two and a half months post treatment and it’s good to see a good outcome story.i too feel like my urethra gets irritated sometimes, especially after I use my dilators. It feels like it irritates my bladder and makes me feel like I have to pee more and feel like sometimes I’m pushing out of a straw at first then opens up. It got irritated feeling mid external radiation off and on, but when I was done it felt good and went back to normal so I thought it might have been a mild uti. But then a couple weeks later when I had to start using the dilators it feels like it gets irritated again.i don’t know if I’ll have to see a urologist later but I think it might be to soon after treatment for me to tell. I think I’m going to ask about using a vaginal moisturizer and see if that helps because I’m so dry down there , that might be irritating me more I don’t know, because a couple days when I’m not using the dilators it doesn’t feel too bad. Thanks again for this post , very uplifting!

Lolli thank you for coming back to update. I am due to finish treatment on the 9th November and really worry what my new normal will be. Lovely to read a post three years post treatment. I hope you continue to improve every day. 
x Maria

Hello Lolli!

Great to see you! Glad to know you you are settling into your new normal. 3 years is a great milestone :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi lolli

fab news so pleased to see you entering 3 years xx

and glad to see your getting on with your life when you move on to yearly appointments it does fly by and before you know it you'll be hitting that 5 year mark

great to hear from you 

love Michelle xx