No period after colposcopy and biopsy

I got a colposcopy and punch biopsy on February 29, i had bleeding for a little over a week after but a large amount of cramping badly for almost 3 weeks, it got concerning and hard to do my day to day activities after then it died down to mild cramping. I still have not had a period and i had a negative pregnancy test at the doctor on the 29th and a negative one at home on march 25. Ive been trying to do research and will ask more questions at the doctor soon. Also, does anyone feel like they werent prepared enough for what it would entail for the procedure and after? I got through the procedure semi okay but the cramping was concerning and now no period for almost 6 weeks. My last was February 13th. I wish i was more prepared and im concerned for what the future holds with possible diagnoses. Please advise. Im aboit to be 30 years.old also. thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @Karenrose1323 I missed a period after both of my lletz biopsy’s and then have found them different in texture (sorry tmi) but they are darker and dried blood rather than bright red blob I was use to lol. I had my lletzs last year sept I think but this month they’ve started messing up again. my last period was 10 days long and then within two weeks of stopping that one I’m on again! Although this period is more bright red like pre lletz so I’m hoping it’s trying to sort its self out! But it’s certainly taking its time. They really don’t give you any info on this and just presume your pregnant or I even got maybe early menopause I’m 36. I feel they do the biopsy’s then if your not needed to be seen in person again that’s it no help or guidance. X

1 Like

Hi there, I’m in the exact same situation, had 5 punch biopsies and still have occasional cramps and no period yet (though my periods are irregular as I’m on the mini pill, but I’d be expecting one imminently). And absolutely I was not remotely prepared - all the literature suggests it’s a “little pinch” and then you’re back to doing cartwheels in an hour. I had to be signed off work for a week as mine were infected and I ended up needing an emergency appointment and antibiotics and honestly I’m still not right, you’re absolutely not alone and don’t let anyone belittle the experience as for some of us it is pretty unpleasant. I’m a similar age to you (just turned 32 last week) and I’m really interested to see if others have had similar experiences or any advice too, hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Hey, agree not enough information is given tbh about the after effects that may happen!
I had x2 llets done and my periods stopped. My GP didnt want to know. I had my 6 month follow up smear at the coloscopy department in the hospital and they asked me about my periods, they checked and said my cervix had closed this is why I wasnt bleeding and needed to be dialated. It has taken months since this for anyone to do anything and I had to get the coloscopy clinic to contact the Gynaecology dept for an emergency hysteroscopy which they couldnt do as it was too painful so im now waiting for an operation to do it!
Hopefully this helps!

2 Likes

Can i ask how they dialated it? Little worried too with my experience and blaming myself that i didnt get enough information and blaming the doctor for not saying it. Feel a little dismissed when i wish i didnt and sad if a lot if women feel that way and i hope i get my period really soon and stop completely cramping and things will be fine.

Thanks so much for your response đź©·

Hey, thats okay, hopefully you will get sorted 🩵 yes i feel like that too, whilst the nurses are great and caring, there isnt much info given. They did say about my cervix closing afterwards but made it sound like all i had to do was ring my GP, tell them i had the LLETZ procedure done and they would refer me back to the coloscopy clinic to have the dialation done! That does not happen, ive had to jump through hoops! So you have a hysteroscopy which may work to dialate, but in my case it didnt and they had to insert rods, the pain was unbearable so they had to stop and had to be referred for a day procedure to be sedated for it. My cramps are awful, ive never had worse period pains, ive been in a & e, missed work and its completely shattered my life, 1 or 2 day period pains has now gone to 3 week period pains!
I do hope yours come back naturally and everything will be okay! X

1 Like