Radiotherapy scan plan

Hi all

could anyone enlighten me as to what happens during the scan plan meeting, I've been told about the water drinking and to ensure I'm hydrated days before aswell for the CT to plan where the radio is going to target.

is this all that happens at the appointment? Will I receive my tattoos then also? 

thank you 

Hey lovely,

I hope you had a lovely birthday and got spoilt rotten.

So for my planning meeting I had to go to the radiotherapy dept and they make the mould that you will sit in every time you have radiotherapy, it's just to make sure you are in the right place, it's like a soft bean bag and they suck the air out of it and it hardens and holds the shape of your bum and legs. They then put laser cross hair on you and mark out in marker pen where you'll get tiny dot tattoos on each hip, your abdomen and below your waist band, kinda in the pubic region.

The scan itself uses contrast, I had no effects from it but when my sister had it for her thyroid scan she got really warm and thought she'd peed herself, she hadn't but it makes you feel like you did! The nurses at my appointment "reassured" me that in all their years they hadn't experienced anyone actually pee themselves which made me think oh great I'm bound to be the first, I wasn't lol 

That was pretty much it, I'm pretty sure it's just so your consultant can plan the exact levels of radiation and the areas and depth that need zapping, they obviously aim to hit the tumour not your bladder or bowels etc

It was at this appointment they decide the parameters for your bladder, so you'll need to be hydrated so they can measure the size of your bladder and then when you go for radiotherapy they will scan your bladder and make sure it's roughly the same size as it was at planning as your treatment has been planned around that size, there is a +/- buffer so don't panic you don't need to be exact. 
I was rubbish at getting it right because I have a ridiculously large bladder, you'll be absolutely fine I'm sure. 
It really not that bad, it's just so they can make every radio session as identical to the next as is possible, your mould will be put on the same numbers on the table every time, your bladder is checked, the cross hairs will line up with your tattoos, it's all about accuracy and this meeting just records it all. 
sorry I have rambled on insanely, I had far too much wine last night and I am regretting that decision somewhat this morning! 
I hope you have a lovely day and I hope your appointment goes really well. The radiographers who did mine were lovely and reassuring, I'm sure it will be the same for you. 
One thing be prepared to spend a lot of time naked from the waist down, all decency disappears from here on in, the radiographers obviously have seen it all before and don't bat an eyelid but I preferred to wear easy on and off clothes so I didn't spent 5 minutes trying to squeeze my fat arse into a pair of skinny jeans, also they recommended to me no shaving pubic hair during treatment as skin can get sore and be really sensitive.

ok I'm leaving you in peace now, have a lovely day,

much love,

emma xxx 

Hi

I'm in the UK - I got 3 tattoos at my plan scan (3+ years ago), one on each hip and one on my pubis, but I didn't get the mould that emmz describes.   Every time I had a radiotherapy session (25 in all)  I was asked to totally relax, whilst lying semi naked on the table thingy, and then the radiographists gently pulled and pushed me to get me in the right position.  I can't really make a relevant comment about bladder management because I was in the unusual situation of having an indwelling urinary catheter (that's another story - miserable sigh).  I started moisturising with Aveeno in the run up to radiotherapy to get my skin in tip top condition.

Hope all goes well for you.

x

Hey Emmz, thank you so much hun, it was really nice to have a meal with everyone, even if I ended up in bed early lol. 
Thank you for the information, it's nice to know what to prepare for, well I'm defo going wear leggings now I think lol. Oh gosh you know when someone tells you that your going spend a lot of time half naked, I'd thought about the fact I could possibly but now I know I will I'm a little more nervous haha. 
I know it's sounds so minor but I just didnt know how much time I would be there if that makes sense so I kind of wanted prepare myself for quite a few hours just incase. Thank you so much Emmz, hope you've had a lovely weekend xxxx

Jazza- thank you so much hun, I'm prepared for the tattoos now I think, especially as it seems a running theme that I should get them at this plan scan, I'm defo going to start moisturising now aswell I think, I've literally just bought Aveeno whilst I was at work so I'll start preparing my skin for sure. Thank you for the heads up xxxx

I didn't spend a lot of time semi naked - really only the time it took for completion of the radio session which was about 15 minutes in my case.  The radiographers preserved as much of my dignity as possible with a bit of paper roll to cover me where possible.  The staff are just totally focused on getting everything set up, then they leave the room  - so it's  just you and the machine doing its thing with them at a distance remotely controlling everything.  The main challenge for me was not to jiggle my hips when Michael Jackson was played on the sound system!

x

For radiation I had leg casts too, and I lied down and had to keep my hands above my head. They pulled my pants down lined me up with the lazers and put a warm blanket on me . Yes wear comfy easy to pull down pants. In the end I just wore sweatpants with no underwear lol. And adidas slides shoes that I could easily just slip off. I'm glad you had a good birthday!

Hi - I'm in UK and ended up with 2 plan/scan appointments.  I was told by phone to have an empty bowel and drinks lots of water for a full bladder. Had cannula fitted for contrast.   Bladder was fine but even though I didn't feel the need to go my bowel wasn't empty.  Had to try and empty it which I couldn't but lost the full bladder in the attempt! I don't suffer from constipation, I'm almost a vegetarian, but was sent away with 4 days laxatives and new appointment.  Ended up with runny tummy and the next appointment was no good as there was too much wind in my bowel!  Lost my full bladder again trying remove the wind! Anyway they accepted me once I had refilled my bladder.  4 tattoos, tiny dots.  I pulled my trousers and underwear down, they ensured I was covered with large sheet of paper.  Didn't feel self conscious even though the radiographers were chaps.  Just wish I had been made aware to eat prunes or something beforehand to save the extra 20 mile 2nd appointment.  Maybe this was necessary because if location of treatment, I should have asked.

Anyway, good luck with everything, my 1st chemorads is on Wednesday and I'm very grateful to everyone's advice, especially Keeley via msg - ?