Radical hysterectomy - bladder issues

Hi

I had a laparoscopic RH on Wednesday (5.08) 

They took the catheter out on Friday am - my bladder wouldn't cooperate so they put it back for 24hrs.

Again took it off this AM and no luck :( 

Do you have any tips or similar experience that could cheer me up? 

I am gutted as otherwise I am recovering fine and my cons is happy enough.  

Many thanks! 

Hi NightFury

My hospital sent me home within 24h of my RH with an indwelling catheter which was in for 7 days before removal was attempted.  The bladder nerves do need a bit of time to recover so it seems to me that 2-4 days for catheter removal is very early.  In my case I had zero bladder function after a week and also after 2 weeks.  After a month I was taught to self catheterise and after a few months I gradually regained some bladder function. 3+ years later my bladder function is slightly better but I still have to self cath due to urinary retention.  It's not that unusual for women to have to self cath for a few months following RH  and virtually everyone gets back to normal.   One tip I can give you is very soon your bladder needs to be expanding and contracting, as it fills with urine and is then emptied of urine, to enable it to start working naturally again.  At the moment your bladder isn't doing anything because the indwelling catheter plus bag (I assume you have a bag) keeps it empty.  After 2 weeks if you still have no normal bladder function you should be offered a flip flow option for your catheter or to be taught self cath.  Accept these options as soon as they are offered as they will optimise recovery of your bladder.  I didn't understand that and wimped out to begin with, albeit I did come to my senses afeter a week and had a flip flow for 2 weeks followed by self cath.

I hope I haven't scared you but I can empathise with how you must be feeling; I have done heaps of searching on Google and social media etc  ever since I ended up with my bladder situation and have only come across 2 or 3 other cases similar to mine.  If something I've said doesn't make sense please say and I'll try and explain it better and if you have more questions please feel free to ask.  It's fine to PM me especially if I don't reply within a day or 2.

x

Thank you! They did tell.me that it is quite usual with the key hole surgery and today I was taught how to self-cath. My catheter was removed this morning and a lovely nurse helped me with the compact catheter which isn't as bad as I expected but still quite unpleasant.

I have accepted that I will have to do it daily, my cons told me it could take weeks - months to go back  to usual but actually miracle has happened and along side with urinary infection I mamaged to pass some urine! Yay!

And you are right. I was googling and researching but not many results is out there so thank you for sharing yours! 

I am quite stubborn and ambitious so when the bladder didn't work my frustration was sky high so I have to just suck it up and do my best ;) 

Again - I appreciate your response! 

Xx

Oh good, you've been started on the self cath already - you are being well looked after.  Even better that you've passed some urine already - I share your 'Yay'.  I was started with a Hollister Vapro Touch Free catheter which I am still using; I have tried a few others but for me it's the one I get least UTIs with. It can be worth trying out a few different catheters as what suits one won't suit another; it's easy to order free samples by looking up catheter companies on line. Or maybe you have a good continence nurse already-  NHS continence support is pretty poor in my area so I had to do a bit of searching to get help.

My frustration level was also sky high but somehow we get through it because we have to.  As I said feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to help where I can.

Best Wishes x

Thank you Jazza

I have started to pass water as I should be however they are sending me home with the self cath sets ( I have 3 different types) but fingers crossed I won't have to do it again :) 

I hope your bladder will sort itself out soon too! 

Thank you for your lovely comments! 

Take care x

Hi night flurry. I'm exactly two years post RH retaining overies. I had a catheter removed after 10 days as it showed it emptied my bladder. Fast forward 6 weeks and im Back in hospital with sepsis caused by retaining urine in the bladder that turned into an infection.  I've been on antibiotics for nearly 2 years.  I've just finally manage to go around 8 weeks with not needing them.  I was going to have to start self Catheterising very soon. I believe and my consultation did that it was nerve damage and it takes a while to repair.   

keeo positive. It's really hard I understand. But time helps and look after your self as much as you can.  

sending hugs. Xxx

Hi night flurry. I'm exactly two years post RH retaining overies. I had a catheter removed after 10 days as it showed it emptied my bladder. Fast forward 6 weeks and im Back in hospital with sepsis caused by retaining urine in the bladder that turned into an infection.  I've been on antibiotics for nearly 2 years.  I've just finally manage to go around 8 weeks with not needing them.  I was going to have to start self Catheterising very soon. I believe and my consultation did that it was nerve damage and it takes a while to repair.   

keeo positive. It's really hard I understand. But time helps and look after your self as much as you can.  

sending hugs. Xxx