OBGYN or Gynecologist Oncologist for Hysterectomy?

Pleasure e-meeting you! I'm a newbie smile I began my journey this past February/March and just completed a cone biopsy and D&C of the uterus. The results confirmed I have "AdenoCarcinoma in Situ of the Cervix" and they were only able to get scar tissue from my uterus because of a NovaSure ablation I had done in 2008. I meet with our OBGYN surgeon on Monday to remove the sutures and discuss scheduling a hysterectomy. At this time, since the cancer has been confirmed, we can stay with our OBGYN or move on to a Gynecologist Oncologist for further treatment. Some of my questions are:

1. So far the cancer only presents itself in the cervix. We won't know anything more until the hysterectomy is performed and all of the parts go into pathology. However, if it's only in the cervis, I'm still presenting every symptom for ovarian: bloating, constipation, back pain, pain down in my groin, and acid reflux (since Oct. 2020).

2. Would the Gyno-Oncologist do more (or different) treatment, or the same hysterectomy?

I've noticed some of you ladies put your dates and test results in the messages, so perhaps that will help get a better picture and perhaps somebody else can relate? I'm still hesitant, and don't want to get too comfortable thinking this could only be in my cervix if nothing else was officially ruled out yet. 

From here, would you go to the Gyno-Oncologist or OK to stay with our OBGYN until more things present themselves?

Feb. 25: Pap and HPV test. Results: (Pap) Atypical Squamous Cells- Cannot exclude High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion Atypical glandular cells -endocervical (HPV) Positive- HPV types: 16/18/31/33/35/39/45/51/52/56/58/59/66/68

Mar. 15: Colposcopy with Biopsies. Results: 

1. Cervix, 2 o'clock, biopsy:
-- Adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS).
-- Severe squamous dysplasia (CIN 3)
2. Cervix, 6 o'clock, biopsy:
3. Cervix, 9 o'clock, biopsy:
-- Adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS).
4. Endocervix, curettage:
-- Detached fragments of dysplastic squamous mucosa, high-grade

Apr. 5: Cone Biopsy and D&C. Results: (still waiting for the official paperwork to show in my chart)
Sorry if this is too much information. This is what my chart "history" reads so far...
Mar. 15: High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HGSIL), grade 3 CIN, on biopsy of cervix
Apr. 5: Adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS) of uterine cervix

Any thoughts or advice you have is greatly appreciated laughing Thank you!!

Hi,

I would go with the oncologist. I wasn't given a choice because I had 1a1 but so glad I did! When he was in there he found one of the worse scar tissue cases he has seen due to my 2 previous c-sections. My uterus was fuzed to my bladder and only a surgeon would have been able to fix it! If an obgyn was doing the surgery they would have had to call an emergency surgeon to come in. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Kristin

Thank you so much Kristin! I have my post-op (from cone biopsy) scheduled this afternoon. We are going to ask to be referred to the oncologist next. I agree with you, my gut says that's the way to go. They specialize in this specifically for a reason. 

I also have a lot of scar tissue in my uterus from an ablation in 2008. I'm not going to be satisfied until every stone is unturned and not going to settle until we can confidently know whether it is (or is not) anywhere else. I feel an onocologist will examine everything more thoroughly.

Thank you again for the clarification!

I have stage 1 cancer and they had highly suggested hysterectomy as I have 3 children. They did say they could redo the lletz but wouldn't be sure it would work so I have opted for the Laparoscopic hysterectomy x

Hi! Based on my experience, I can say that you need to contact an oncologist about cancer. He will tell you what Studies you need to go through and what treatment will be right.