HPV vaccine success / ? extend cervical screening to over 65’s

I am delighted to hear of the success of the HPV vaccine in young women. It is being discussed that todays young women might now be offered a smear test every 10 years or so.
I cannot be the only over 65 with high grade HPV who has fallen off the end of the cervical smear system.
Surely when the capacity in the system becomes available it could be offered to unvaccinated older ladies who are still high risk of developing CC in their 70’s.
Prevention has to be better than cure!

2 Likes

There is lots of countries that do yearly smear testing and not just HPV is a regular gynecologist check up . Most GP don’t have the tools to help with women issues and many problems go untreated .
I really believe women should have the option of regular checks not just for cervical cancer but for other gynecologist issues . And definitely stopping smears because of age is just crazy.

2 Likes

I agree. Wish we were more pro health rather than just treat disease.
I’ve just had another positive high risk HPV result (Superdrug) and our health service doesn’t want to know!
There is nothing for over 65’s until it’s bad enough to bleed.
I just ordered another round of ACCP capsules and Papliocare gell to try to give it my best. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Good luck hopefully your inmune system and the extra help with Papilocare and AHCC will get rid of this annoying virus take care , I’m trying to do the same

2 Likes

It’s crazy we drop off the system, there must be loads of us in this position. :disappointed:
I’m hoping to find somewhere that does colposcopy locally when it gets to 5+ years since my last one.

2 Likes

I agree that women should have the option of regular gynae check ups; the following petition addresses this issue:

https://www.change.org/p/reduce-late-diagnosis-current-women-s-healthcare-in-the-uk-severely-fails-women-of-all-ages-and-urgent-change-is-needed-please-sign-and-share-this-petition-there-is-a-real-need-to-improve-women-s-health-smash-taboos-checkmeup?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=b1d6fe10-1459-11e5-b47e-43c1dfb2d60f

x

2 Likes

Why wait for the system to catch up? I would just go ahead and request the vaccine and get it done. If your insurance or NHS doesn’t cover it, just pay for it yourself. That’s what I did. I was 45 at the time and it wasn’t FDA approved for my age at the time. But better safe than sorry.

Even though it was 4 months after surgery for cancer, I figured it would still protect me in future from other strains I didn’t have. And since then, 2019, I’ve never tested positive again. I check at least 2x a year. Didn’t stop me from having another recurrence though, but that’s another story.

1 Like

I tried to sign this Jazza but the link wouldn’t work.

I’m still having an ongoing battle with my surgery to acknowledge that 2 high risk HPV tests (Superdrug) warrant being taken seriously. Because I’m 66 I’m off the screening programme I honestly don’t think they know what to do with me. I’m waiting for a phone appt in April with woman doctor who does cytology.

2 Likes

Hi 66yrsyoung

Thanks for the feedback about the link for the petition. I’ll look into it when I’m on my PC.

Well done for seeking answers regarding your HPV status. Maybe there needs to be a petition regarding older women and cervical screening?

x

2 Likes

Hi 66yrsyoung

I’ve just checked the link for the petition and it seems to be working. It needs to be highlighted and copied (/c) then pasted (/v) in to an address bar at the top of a browser page - I only know how to do it on a PC.

Alternatively you can locate the petition by googling on ‘dafina checks change.org’

Hope this helps?

2 Likes

Thanks Jazza, signed and donated.

2 Likes

I got my consultant to write a short note with some links to reports and sources of information about the HPV vaccine for women with recurring VIN. I then sent this to my GP. They have given me the vaccine “off license” so I have to pay for the vaccine and am in the lucky position to be able to do so. If there is a chance of this reducing flare-ups it actually makes sense for the patient but also NHS budget - it is way cheaper than recurring procedures to remove pre-cancerous cells. Yet is is free for gay men up to 45. I can’t see the sense!

2 Likes