HPV dormant

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all well. I have a question that I’ve been trying to make sense of. I have been informed after my last my smear that I’m now HPV negative which is great news and I will go back to my 3 yearly cycle of smears.

My understanding is that once your body has cleared this strain of HPV You won’t have to worry about any nasty surprises and getting a HPV positive result at the next smear for this same strain.

I have then read about HPV laying dormant in peoples bodies, and how 10 years later they have had the same sexual partner but have had a positive HPV result again.

I am absolutely petrified of getting HPV again and can’t live the rest of my life worrying if my strain of HPV is going to come back one day, I haven’t been in a sexual relationship since first having HPV and will not want to get into another if there is a risk of one day having to explain to someone that I’m HPV positive again as they will think I’ve been unfaithful.

Please can someone try to explain how to know whether HPV can come back and what dormancy is?

Thank you x

Lola, why don’t you give the Jo’s Trust helpline a call and have a chat to someone who knows about these things. I can understand you feeling anxious but it sounds like it’s threatening to take over your life and I think you would benefit from talking it through with an ‘expert’. X

1 Like