How does cervical cancer treatment affect your routine?

Hey guys,

While awaiting biopsy results from a recent Colposcopy (CIN1 cells around an unidentified 'lump') I'm naturally preparing myself for the worst and have a couple of questions regarding how you amazing survivors coped and are coping. I know it seems a bit of a pessimistic view to take, but I like to be prepared so I can take everything in my stride and, if it's not cancer then that'll be a weight off :)

How soon did you begin treatment after your scans and treatment plan? If you had a cone biopsy post-colposcopy, how long did you have to wait for the op? And most importantly, how did the cancer treatment affect your work and social life?

Just really curious! 

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Phoebe, 

I found the whole diagnosis thing a bit surreal,  but tried not to let it impact my life.I'm a really pragmatic person and try not to worry about things that I can't control. 

Apart from time out for hospital appointments etc I didn't take any time off work from the diagnosis up to the day before my surgery.The thing I found hardest to deal with was other people's reaction, and older people tend to be the worst.  I guess it's due to the fact that this sort of cancer is way more treatable than it used to be and younger people are much more aware of that. 

I guess I'm lucky that I don't need any further treatment,  so I can't say how that would have affected me and my routine. At the moment I'm 3 weeks post surgery and getting ready frustrated at not being able to do stuff other than go for gentle walks and sit about watching TV/  reading etc. Can't wait til i'm feeling up to a whole days shopping again! 

I suppose what i'm saying, and I know this is easier said than done for some people, is try and carry on as normal do the things you like to do and try not to worry too much.Hopefully you will get good news and will look back and wonder what all that stress was about.

Take care,  and get out there and have a great weekend!

Love Greta x 

Hi :-)

You will find that once you have a real diagnosis everything falls into place. Until cancer becomes your own reality you cannot realistically plan your coping strategy, it's much the same as 'planning' how you would react to the sudden loss of your nearest and dearest. Not that the two are similar, they are simply both equally impossible to choreograph.

My story is rather unusual but you might find it an entertaining read nonetheless. If you click on my name in pink it will take you to my profile where you will find my first post entitled 'My Big Fat Greek Hysterectomy'

Be lucky :-)

Tivoli