High risk hpv found no abnormal cells

Hi I'm 30 year old mum of 2. I have never missed a smear- all which have always come back normal. My recent one was Jan this year the results came back as high risk hpv but no abnormal cells. I have been with my partner for 11/12years and in no way think anything has been going on so I guess this has been something that's happened a long time ago. This is my first smear I've had where hpv is the primary testing so I guess I could of had strains before and never knew about them as they never tested for them? I'm just getting myself worked up. Just had to get it off my chest and hopefully hear some similar positive stories. I have to go back for routine smear in 1 year to see what's happening. 

Hi Scotland, 

You're right. It's most likely you picked up HPV many years ago but it has been lying dormant. It's great news that no abnormal cells have been detected. X

I also had the same result. My smear is normal. But i have high risk HPV ( thanks God, it's not 16 & 18 ) but i still cry because of it. It hit me really hard. I can't believe it i have it. I was supposed to get re-tested today, but i got my period, so i had to postpone for 2 weeks. 
i just still hoping it was false result. I hope i actually don't have it :( 

i'm also not sure when did i get it as i have never checked for HPV specifically before. I also got smear regularly since 2012/2014 & all this time always came back normal.  
i hope both of us always healthy ??

Hi how did you find out what strain of hpv you have? X

Hi Sarah I don’t believe the NHS will give you a specific strain number at the smear stage (they might if you have treatment) but you can buy a test from Superdrug that will specifically tell you if you have 16/18 each and then one result positive or negative for other high risk strains. So you won’t know which of those other strains but will at least know for 16/18.
There are other tests available but this is the one I used and was pleased with the service.