Dilators not used

Hi everyone

I know this is my own fault and I know how important it is to use the dilators but I’ve had a lot of personal stuff going on over the past 2 months so haven’t used my dilator since November. I havent had intercourse as we’ve had alot going on.

Will i still be able to use to dilator if i start tomorrow? It dawned on me today when i spotted it in the bathroom that ive not been using it and now im worried incase my vagina area has closed and I cant use it or be examined at my next check up.

Hoping you have some good news for me!! X

1 Like

I think since it’s been a couple years since you finished treatment & you used them in your first 2 years you should be ok. They say the first year after treatment is the most crucial with using the dilators but that we should continue to use them. I kinda just try to see it as a chore that has to get done, I’m just doing it once a week now. Probably should do it more, but even that feels draining at times lol, I just do it the same day a week around the same time so I don’t forget. On the rare occasion I do have sex I just use that as my 1 day a week that I used my dilators lol. Just make sure you use lots of lube & try not too be tense & you should be ok , just don’t force anything, if for some reason it feels like it absolutely won’t go in let your doctor know.

2 Likes

Were u ok? Were u able to use them?

Havent tried yet going to on the weekend x

I haven’t used the dilators and have no interest in using them. I’m a feminist and the whole idea just does not appeal to me at all. Xx

Have you been ok with your check ups in terms of your vagina narrowing or has it been ok? Xx

Lally I’m curious to know too, have u been ok with speculum during pelvic exams?

1 Like

I haven’t had any pelvic exams, everything has been assessed by scans. In any case even if they do a pelvic exam they can’t really see the full information they need without looking at the imaging.

I have to add that I haven’t really noticed any vaginal narrowing. Nor has my partner.

1 Like

Stenosis is related mainly to brachytherapy, so if you had brachytherapy you definitely need to use dilators. Leanne I don’t believe that your vagina will be closed up at the stage that you will not be able to use them. Probably it will be tighter but with repetition you will be fine! I know it is difficult and uncomfortable but I reassure you that if you use it more often it will not be so uncomfortable as at the beginning. As it is easy to forget and all of a sudden to realise that weeks might have passed since last time I used it, have started keeping a record in my phone the days that I use it so I can have a better understanding how many times per month/ weeks I am using it. I found that it motivates me to do it more often.

Xxx

2 Likes

I was told I could stop using the dilators at my 3 month checkup. I am 2 years and 4 months out and haven’t used them since then.

My doctors have no problems checking me, my vagina is as it was before treatment.

Did you have radiotherapy? X

Yes I did. I had 25 externals ( extended field) and 2x28 hours brachytherapy . I am very lucky to have no side effects from radiotherapy.

I was told I could stop using the dilators since my vagina looks and feels completely normal, no tightening or adhesions or scar tissue. I would definitely discuss this with your radiologist and see if you can stop as well

Btw I have no sex life left, even though it is physically possible.

1 Like