Chemo or rads first? Opinion and suggestions needed!

Hey Dawn!

I’m glad to know that you already received your result and you finally know about the treatment plan! I can imagine what you’re feeling right now but please focus on what they said to you “they are treating to cure” okay! Sending big hugs and love your way! Soon when the treatment commences, you will feel better because you know that you’re actually trying to get rid of this b*****d through treatments. Is it chemo first or chemorads? My support and prayers are with you. You can get through this and you will beat this xx

Kayla

Hi it’s chemo first because of the spread then it’s radiation, I’m waiting for an appointment with the oncologist to discuss the plan, thank your for being here xx

1 Like

Hello how is your mom doing ? Xx

Hey Dawn!

My mum is doing very well. She will undergo her third chemo next wednesday. How are you coping up? I hope you feel more positive now that the treatment is about to begin.

Hi so glad she is doing so well, I’m not to bad, I’m ok then it all just suddenly hits me again, horrible isn’t it, lots of love to you both and I hope everything continues to go well xx

Hey Dawn. I know it’s utterly difficult to come to terms with the fact that you’re just diagnosed with cervical cancer, especially knowing that you had no obvious symptoms. Two months ago it seems like everything is fine, you’re healthy, happy, and suddenly a cancer diagnosis.

I know it feels surreal, it’s as if you’re in a nightmare and all you want to do is to wake up. My mum and me feel that too everyday, Dawn. You’re not alone. Everytime you feel miserable, please remember that although it is not an early stage diagnosis, but it is still curable just like what your oncologist emphasized! They will give you a set of intense treatments that will effectively kill all the cancer.

So Dawn, keep your head up, keep on moving and stay positive. You’ll get through this! We’re thinking of you here. Sending big hugs, support, and strength for you and your family xxx

Kayla

2 Likes

Hello hope you are both well how is the treatment going, ive had my appointment for the oncologist at last it’s the 5th so hopefully can get treatment started xxx

Hey Dawn!

It’s already 27 October here and in the morning we will go for her third chemotherapy. So far so good no more sore bones and pain, she’s fully ready to do the third round (almost halfway done for the chemo).

8 days until your appointment. 8 days won’t be too long, trust me. I hope everything goes well with your appointment, Dawn. Keep us posted! Sending love and strength to you xx

Kayla

I’m so glad the pain has stopped I’ve just started having pain and a few bouts of heavy bleeding, nice to know the chemo will ease the symptoms, is your mom feeling ok at the moment and has she lost her hair ? Xx

Dawnann,

Just to say I hope you get your start date soon and start beating this thing! I can understand they want to start with chemo because of the spread, although most of us have the chemo and radiotherapy at the same time. You can beat it. X

Hi has anyone had to shield while going through there chemo xx

Yes, any of us having chemo during lockdown (and after chemo) were asked to shield, because it compromises your immune system and you are very vulnerable. X

1 Like

Thank you for that I had better make arrangements then xx

Hi Kayla how is your mom doing ? Xx

Hey Dawn!

Sorry for the late reply. It’s been 9 days since my mum’s third chemo and she’s starting to feel better just today. Honestly, the first week after chemo has always been tough for her. Her oncologist said that it’s normal to feel poorly during chemotherapy since the chemo drugs are very strong, it can weaken your immune system and cause infection in your body. My mum has suffered from GERD to begin with and the chemo is making it worse. The chemo is harsh but it’s doable! I don’t know about your chemo regimen but I assume it’s the same as my mum since you said it will be chemo first.

How are you Dawn!? I hope you’re doing great and that you keep your spirits up for the upcoming treatment. Did they give you a start date? Sending lots of love and strength to you. Onwards and upwards xx

Kayla

Hi Kayla they said I start in around 2 weeks and have said it’s 1 chemo every 21 days so it’s like your moms, I was also told that the 1st week would be hard then it would improve ready to start again, it’s going to be a struggle but it’s a path I have to go down, glad your mom is improving give her my love and thank you for replying xx

Yes, I believe it’s the same regimen. I’m beyond glad that you already know your start date. Oh and Dawn, during (and before/after) the chemo please don’t forget to drink lots of water, leafy greens, and iron-rich foods to boost your blood platelets. Before the chemo begins, they will always check your blood to see if your blood platelets are alright for chemotherapy (if not, they will usually do the transfusion).

True, this is going to be a tough fight, but it will be worth the fight. After just two chemos, during the internal check last month, the doctor noticed that my mum’s cervix is no longer bleeding as it used to be and the tumor is shrinking—he then said to us that means the chemo is working effectively. I believe this is the kind of story that you need to hear. Please stay positive as treatment today can be very effective to cure you! Sending you love from here too, Dawn. Please keep us updated. Onwards and upwards xx

Kayla

Kayla

Hi ladies, I wanted to post as I came across this thread and previously I had not found anyone who was having the same treatment as me!

I am 32 and have stage 2b cervical cancer. My oncologist didn’t want me to have a radiotherapy as I also have Crohn’s disease and she was massively concerned about the impact on my bowel. And so they suggest I try chemotherapy first to try and stabilise possibly shrink my cancer so they can try surgery. Radiotherapy at a lower dose potentially.

My plan was always two rounds of carbo and taxol then to rescan me and see how I had responded. I thought it might help you all to hear that after two rounds I had a mri scan which showed that my tumour had shrunk by nearly half. I have just completed round 5 and I will be having my final in two weeks time.

I thought it might help you all focus and it always nice to hear something positive I was terrified starting this treatment as I couldn’t find any women who had use it as a starting point.

Sending love and strength xxx

1 Like

Hi Leahlouise,

Great to hear your treatment is going well, I love reading all the positive stories.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment :+1:

AMF

That’s really made me feel
So much better thank you so much for posting your progress, I am due to start chemo in 2 weeks , because of spread they need to treat my whole body to shrink, stabilise and control, that’s given me so much hope that it can work I hope you continue to do well on your journey lots of love xx