Cervical cancer

Hi all
I was told last Monday I have stange 1a cancer! I’ve been going through all the motions since was told !! I’ve received my op date today for a full hysterectomy!! Going in on 29.03.17 !! I have 2 children 7 and 5 !! Is the hysterectomy the cure or will I need more treatment

Thanks

Hi Joanne :)

I think it is unlikely that you will need any further treatment for stage 1a if you are having a full hysterectomy. I think you will have your pelvic lymph nodes taken out at the same time as your hysterectomy to check if the cancer has spread to them and if it hasn't, then further treatment will not be needed but if it has, then I was told that the next treatment would be radiotherapy. I think the chance of spread to the lymph nodes for stage 1a is tiny (I was told that it was less than 10% for stage 1b).

Best of luck with your treatment.

x

Hi Joanne

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was staged 1b1 last year and had a fertility saving trachelectomy. I have no children. Hopefully the surgery will get it all for you as Jenny says there is small chance it has spread at such an early stage! Keep your chin up :) x

Hi Joanne :-)

If at all possible your team will do their level best to cure you with just one treatment, so if they have chosen a hysterectomy for you then they aren't expecting you to need anything else farther down the line. If they did, they would go straight for that and skip out the hysterectomy. Hope that helps.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi just read your post and wanted to leave a comment, I was stage 1a2 i also have 2 children this last year has been a whirlwind for me, I didnt have the option of a hysterectomy i had a cone biopsy done which removed it all with clear margins and I have had two clear smears since, if you need to ask any questions please feel free to message me I have been where you are and know how frightening it can be but this site has been a great help for me 

all the best

carlee xz