Brachy

I’ve had my first brachytherapy treatment today. Thought people might find it helpful to hear my experience.

I arrived at the hospital a little late. Silly people who can’t drive in the rain. Was supposed to be here for 8.

Got checked into my own room with ensure and telly - fancy. Then met with the nurse who’s been looking after me all day. She gave me my gown, paper pants and hat - told me not to mix them up or they’d laugh at me :slight_smile: and measured me up for lovely stockings.

Then I met with the consultant asked if I was happy and understood the treatment etc. He was really nice.

Was told i was third in the queue of three and the nurse would tell me to put my gown etc on when the second lady had gone in. But they came for me 2nd.

Took the opportunity to skip the queue and threw my gown on quick.

I got on the bed and wheeled into theatre. Anaesthetist gave me antisickness, morphine and then put me to sleep. The nurse was lovely and told me to think nice thoughts. I thought about a lovely sunny beach holiday…

Then I was waking up in recovery. I felt fine just a bit of discomfort where the applicators are. So the recovery nurse gave me some painkillers and checked my obs a few times. I waited there to be taken back to the ward. The anaesthetist came to ask how I was to :slight_smile: I thanked him for the lovely nap

When I got taken back to my room. the nurse came in and checked on me. She added a contrast to my catheter so they could see my bladder etc during my treatment planning ct scan. I was then allowed to see my partner for a few mins before being wheeled down for the ct scan. 

The scan was the same as my verification scans for radiotherapy. A quick run through the machine and then back upstairs. 

I then got some lovely toast and watched tv with my partner. 

Treatment time - about 3pm

I was wheeled into the treatment room which is other side of the corridor from my room. the same nurse who has been treating me all day removed the caps from the end of the applicators and attached cables from the machine. 

they gave me a call button then left me listening to boy bands for my 7 minute treatment. The machine made some noise and I might have felt a few pulls but those could be in my mind. It wasn't sore or even uncomfortable. And then it was all over. 1 of 4 done.

Sounds like you are breezing through it!! Keep it going. The end is in sight xx

Hi Georgie thanks for sharing this this will be me on Wednesday next week. You wish you were lying on a beach I like your thinking lol Im glad you mentioned the contrast I had a reaction to it so will tell them when I get there. Did you get the pants and hat mixed up? Glad its all going well Big hugs xx

George,  you are doing great  lovely to hear. 

What is your treatment plan for the braccy?  I had 2 lots of 19 treatments.  19 hours lay on my back x 

Hi georgie I hope you had a good nights sleep and feel rested today? Hows it going this morning? What time do you get to go home? Sending Big Hugs xx

Hi Georgie

I too had my treatment in Glasgow...nurses were fantastic and made the treatment alot less of an ordeal.

Hope today goes quickly for you and you're home today

Px

Evening and Overnight

My partner had to leave to get my little girl so I was on my own. I had offers of visitors but I didnt really want any. 

Tiny pet peeve and tip! Bring food! even my cancer hosptial doesn't seem to cater for people with radiation belly! I ended up with more toast for dinner. 

But my evening was greatly improved by the lovely therapist giving me a hand and arm massage! 

The night shift came in and offered to get me comfy on my side and give me painkillers. I didn't sleep well as i was too warm then I was fighting with a seriously bloated belly.   So the nurse made me peppermint tea and I read. :)

Hi GeorgiePie, 

You're doing fabulous girl!!! Nearly done....not quite a day at the spa even with the massage and peppermint tea but nowhere near what I had in my little old head - you've eased a lot of my worries.

Great tips again - will add this to my Lozzleypezz, Kumagill, Philleeppa list that I keep in my handbag...you're with me everywhere :-) :-)

Rest up and you'll see your little mini minx soon xx

I too was expected to starve at the same hospital.

After fasting for GA I was asked at lunch if I wanted anything to eat....of course I did, I was starving lol Got taken for scan and missed lunch!!! Ended up with toast. At dinner time I was asked if I wanted something to eat and was only offered borccoli quiche...not good when you havent to eat any green veg, so ended up with toast for dinner too. Luckily hunby had brought me plenty of goodies so fidnt go hungry. Plus the polystyrene "bowls" for cereal were just a joke.

I also had a manicure on wk 1 and a pedicure on wk 2 from the therapists and they were lovely.

I felt very windy for around a week afterwards but had forgotten about the peopermont tea bags in my cupboard....stock up as you'll probably need them esp in the mornings!

Glad everything went well for you x

Day 2 - Treatment and removal of applicators.

I was taken down for my planning ct at half 9. Between 10 and my treatment at 12ish I got really fed up and antsy. Perhaps if I'd had a better night with more sleep and less lying still, I wouldve been less frustrated. 

I was delighted when they came for me. I felt like my treatment took a bit longer than the first however that could have just been my impatience to get it over with.

I then had the applicators removed with the help of gas and air. I love that stuff, make sure you get the hang of it and get a good lot in your system before you let them start. It wasn't too bad getting them out, I think I was just ready to have my body back!

I was taken back to my room where I had to wait a little while in bed before having an awesome long shower.

Had my obs taken a few times and had to pee before they would remove the cannula for me. My partner and little girl arrived to collect me. I was home by 3. Haven't got any pain or other side effects so far. 

Georgie that is fantastic I am so pleased for you rest as much as you can. The staff sound lovely it makes such a difference to your stay in hospital massages and and fancy teas lol  You will be so happy to see your little girl have lots of fun together tonight. lots of love xx

Oh how I love staff that tell you they'll take the piss if you f**k-up! :-) Always brightens a hospital stay :-) I can't stand reverence and sincerity! :-)

Thanks for sharing Georgie :-)

Tivoli

xxxxx

Heading in for round 2 today! Not looking forward to it but not dreading it either! 

6 chemo done ( 2 were half doses due to my ears ringing) 24 radio done! 2 brachy done! 

1 radio and 2 brachy to go!!!! 

Hi Georgie did you think we would ever get to the end and here you are nearly finished? You have been fantastic so brave throughout your journey. Tomorrow we will be having Brachytherapy at the same time lol then one more and we are finished Yepee!! You have been a Fab treatment buddy all the best for tomorrow Lots of love xx

Hi Georgie Pie,

How are you getting on - been think of you :-) Hopefully see you through the week xx

Well my third and fourth brachy went fine! I slept a little better so was less fed up when waiting between my scan and treatment in the morning. 

I spoke to the consultant who was in theatre (he isn't my consultant) he said that he couldn't see or feel anything which is good! But I am more worried about these bloody lymph nodes! So holding out for my first PET scan after treatment.

Got out about 1 and had to have a long nap at home! Last day of treatment today 

hope your brachy went well Kumagill. 

G :)

Great news for you, you must be feeling positive :)

I'm at the same hospital as you and finished my treatment almost 4 wreks ago and still no word on my first check up appointment. Have you been told what happens re appointmants and scans etc once treatment has finished?

Px

Congrats on your last day GeorgiePie !! Hope it all went well xx