Your Opinion?

So I've been going for colposcopies, biopsies, had Laser surgery, more colposcopies, more biopsies, a Cone Biopsy, and most recently another colposcopy and biopsy.  This seems to be never ending!  I've been at it for 12 years!! 

Have any of you had a hysterectomy to end all of this? 

I have been told different things and I do not fully understand it.  Would a hysterectomy make a huge difference?  When I suggested to my Dr., she said that we don't do a hysterectomy unless it is completely necessary.  I am thinking "Has this not been long enough?"  It does not want to leave me!!  The stress is never ending!

Can anyone explan this all to me or should I be getting another Dr.?  Apparently, I do have a good Dr. and she seems good, but what do I know?

Many people ask me why I do not get a hysterectomy (like I can just run out and have it done), and when my friend found out she had abnormal cells, her Dr. gave her a hysterectomy immediately.  What's up with that?

What the??  Anyone help a girl here?  lol

Hi there,

Well I can certainly feel how fed up and frustrated you are feeling, no mistake there. Correct me if I am wrong, is HSIL the term used in Canada for what is known as CIN in Britain? And is that the most serious thing that's going on down there with you? I see you have an HSIL severe, which I am assuming is CIN3, which still isn't cancer.

Hysterectomies are not performed for fun, they are not a walk in the park, they are very invasive surgery indeed which, if you haven't already reached a natural menopause, could dramatically change your life. I have no idea why your friend was able to get a hysterectomy like it was waiting on a supermarket shelf, perhaps her situation is different from yours, perhaps she isn't telling you all her intimate details, perhaps she has an unscrupulous doctor, I have no idea. I know only that had I had any choice in the matter, I would have preferred to remain whole.

Be lucky

Tivoli

Hi Wenspics,

Tivoli (as always;)) is so right. A radical hysterectomy is no walk in the park and I wouldn't choose one unless I actually had cancer. Even after a RH there will still be check-ups and anxious times. I can imagine how frustrated you are but it sounds like they are keeping an eye on you. I wish you all the best with this and hope things improve for you soon!

Kirsty x

Hi Wenspicks,

I'm sorry that you've been going through this for so long. I've been having abnormalities now for over 5 years, with treatment twice and still no clear no smear, so I have a good understanding of how awful this can all feel. 

I did ask my consultant about hysterectomy last year, and I was told that not only is it a major thing to go through, it's also not a cure as the cells could still become abnormal in the vagina, and I'd still have to have smears from the vaginal vault. Even though my own problems are continuing, hysterectomy isn't something I would have unless it was absolutely necessary. Perhaps there was a reason why your friend had a hysterectomy, it's unusal for a first treatment so perhaps there were other factors involved as Tivoli has mentioned. 

I try to deal with this by focusing on the fact it's not cancer and the hopsital are monitoring me, although I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me. I've lost count of the colposcopies I've had so can relate to the feeling that it's never ending. I really do feel for you, and I hope that things start to improve soon. Do take care  x

Thanks for your replies! Yes Tivoli, CIN3. I guess I was just hoping for a solution with a hysterectomy as I'm worried with having this so long and always reoccuring, this may turn to cancer at some point. 

Hi Wenspicks,

I totally understand how you feel, the fear and uncertainty about the future can really hard to deal with. I also know that awful feeling when you get yet another abnormal result. It's good you have had clear results before, that is something (although I appreciate it may not feel it). When will you have your next appointment?

I wish you all the best, let us know how you get on, and I hope that 2015 will be a better year for you. Take care x