You CAN get through treatment no matter how bad the side effects!

Hello, good to hear from you. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Lapland sounds very special, hope you took lots of photos and have lots of great memories to look back on! Our Christmas was unfortunately Omicroned (half of the family got Covid) but we still managed to make it a fun one and I had a great birthday too. Sadly the hairloss was in full swing by Christmas Eve so I decided to see what a short bob, then pixie cut, and finally shaved head looked like to prep me for what’s to come - and actually, I look half decent! So the thing I’d been dreading, whilst not ideal, isn’t so bad after all :slight_smile: How are you feeling about starting next Monday? You’ve got this!
@May17 hope you’re keeping well? Does the Brachy start soon?
@AMF I hear you on the weight gain - I thought weight loss might be my silver lining but sadly the cakes love my hips too much hehe xx

1 Like

Hi, glad you still managed to enjoy ur bday and Xmas. I’m feeling very weird this week not sure if it’s nerves, stress or what, I’m also bleeding heavier so really tired probably due to loss of blood. It could also be the hype of Xmas is over and now I don’t have much to do as I’m signed off work. Got a few things to do then its my appointment on Friday then every day from Monday. I’m waiting on the results of my ct scan for my lung and breast and also waiting a referral to the breast clinic so it’s all coming thick and fast. Xx

Hi my lovely. I’m struggling with late side effects of the treatment but I think it’s more mental struggle as my MRI prior brachy will be on the 29th and I can’t seem to shake all these negative thoughts. It is true that mental battle is half of what we need to go through. I’m glad to hear you’re still being positive through this and I hope you’re coping well w the chemo and soon you’ll be cancer free. Sending you much love and hope. xx

@May17 Sorry to hear you’re getting side effects, hope you’re doing okay. Wishing you all the luck for the MRI today - hope it goes well and the scan shows what you’re hoping for xxx

1 Like

@Steffi86 Fingers crossed for your CT and breast check. Hopefully you get a chance for some R&R before Monday - though it sounds like you might be someone who is always on the go! xx

Hi, been thinking of you both - @May17 hope Brachy went well? @Steffi86 how have you found treatment so far? Hope all going well xx

1 Like

Hi lovely. Thanks for checking on us. Brachytherapy done. I was an inpatient for 3 days and did 5 HDR brachy. I would say it’s not as bad as I thought it’s gonna be, but definitely the most uncomfortable thing I ever done. It’s a struggle not being able to move laying flat on my back for 3 days w the brachy needles/catheters inside me. They put in 29 of them. I also had a catheter in my bladder. My team made sure I was pain free so I had epidural drip continuously for 3 days and a morphine pump if I needed it. So I wasn’t really in pain but lost mobility on my legs the 2nd day which is probably a side effect of the epidural which went away after they took it off. I’m now officially done w the treatments and will wait for follow up in 2 weeks maybe to check how I’m healing/coping. But my radiation oncologist wants to do a scan in 2 months. Prior to brachy he said I had a partial response from chemorads and hoping the brachy would take care of the rest. Honestly, my anxiety has never been so bad. All I can think of now are what ifs. What if it’s not gone after all these? I’m trying my best to find my balance again and be positive. Physically I’m not doing too bad, but mentally it’s hitting me really hard. Sorry for the long reply and for moaning. How are you doing w your treatment? I hope everyone is coping well. Sending you all love and prayers.xx

Hi May17,

Good to hear that your treatment is over. 5 sessions of brachytherapy you’ve done very well, I had 3 and found lying still for 36 hours a nightmare it wasn’t painful but I found it tough, so for you to do 3 days I take my hat off to you.

I am 4 months post treatment and it is hard wondering if its worked or not. Like you I had some reduction after my external radiotherapy. I had a scan 7 weeks after brachytherapy which showed further reduction. Oncologist happy to leave for further 3 months then rescan so the waiting goes on.

Just remember that radiotherapy continues to work long after treatment ends and many women don’t get the all clear at their first post treatment scan. Just look after yourself get plenty of rest, eat well and try not to worry.

Take care xx

1 Like

Thank you AMF, your posts has helped me so much during my treatment. I was so worried about having the brachytherapy thought it would be so painful. It’s true that the hardest part was laying on my back for 3 days. I know I should give myself some credit for being able to do such an intense treatment but I’m struggling now finding every pain/niggle worrying thinking what if the cancer has spread. It may be normal but I really hope I find my balance and some peace of mind. I’m grateful I’ve found this forum and I have you and the other brave ladies here to keep me grounded. I pray that your next scan will show total response. Cancer gone. Much love.xx

Hi May. Congratulations on finishing your treatment and well done for getting through it. Try and concentrate on your recovery and getting your strength back. Sending healing hugs to you xxx

1 Like

So pleased your treatment is over. It’s a huge relief!

I’m now doing the waiting game of waiting for follow up scans!.

1 Like

Hi Snowbird, thank you so much. I’m doing my best to just rest and recuperate and also kinda just eat whatever I want at the moment. I was on clear liquid diet for 3 days at the hospital so I figured should spoil myself a bit.
Did you already start your treatment?

Hi Shammy,

How are you coping w the wait? I’m just on a week post treatment and still recovering from brachy. When did you start feeling normal again? I know I should be patient and just let my body recover for now.
I pray that you get the best news on your upcoming scan. We’re all rooting and praying for you.xx

1 Like

Well done @May17, at least it’s over now and you got through it without complications :slight_smile: I completely understand, please don’t apologise - to be honest I’m having a lot of anxiety at the moment too. I have become obsessed with reading about brain metastases as I’ve been having lots of head aches and worry that using the cold cap and a spermidine hair growth spray could increase my risk of tumour growth - but I am going to stop that now because it never makes me feel better! It’s so hard isn’t it to not worry but I keep reminding myself I’m getting the best treatment I can and regular scans and that’s all that can be done - outside of that the best thing I can do for myself is try to fill my life/head with things that make life a little brighter. This weekend that means some time in nature to take advantage of the winter sun! I hope you have something to look forward to xxx

1 Like

The sickness left me pretty quickly and I was eating everything I could get my hands on!! The energy levels took a few weeks to gradually come back.
I’m about 7/8 ish weeks post treatment now. I’m back to work 2 weeks. I perhaps jumped the gun slightly but I’m coping ok. Quite tired by the end of the week.
My lower back and.pelvis can ache at times and my joints can get sore and stiff.
But I’m fighting it all, pushing myself just a little. I start counselling on Tuesday - a free service provided by my employers.
For me getting back to work was a priority for mainly my mental health.
On saying all that we are all very different in how.we recover and what our goals are, so listen to your body. Keep positive. We’re all in this together xx

1 Like

Hi May
Glad to hear you’re concentrating on getting yourself strong again and treating yourself. You deserve it! No I haven’t started treatment yet. I had my appointment for my tattoos and an EUA last week and as far as I know I have my pre treatment assessment on 24th and treatment starts on 25th January. I haven’t got a “schedule” as yet though. I will let you know how I get on and you keep up the good work​:grinning::+1: xxx

1 Like

I really needed to read this today. Whilst my side effects were no where as bad as yours, I still struggled - it has been really tough ! I am now into week 3 of recovery and progress is very slow but its there and thats what counts. Now await scans and hope for the best. Good luck with your next round and thank you for sharing your story xx

1 Like