Worried

I just had a Colposcopy in which the doctor took a biosy & scrapping.  Monday night he calls with the results.  He says the biopsy shows severe dysplasia with precancer not ruling out cancer and I am shocked but the scrapping of the inside of the cervix came back the same.  He said I am going to call an Onocolgist for his opinion.   He calls me the next night to tell me I need to go see this doctor for a Leep procedure and another procedure that is not cancer related.  I asked him if it is cancer what stage do you think and he said stage 1A and if there is invasion I will need a radical hysterectomy.  Well I didn't sleep for the next few nights.  I called the doctor back.  I told him I have a few questions,  He answers the questions then says the Onocologist does not feel you have cancer.  I am confused.  Can they tell by the bipsy and scrapping that if it is cancer or not?  Should he hae told me what type of severe dysplasia I have? If it s HPV related?  What kind of HPV?  Should I call back? 

Hello Julie,  I'd definately go see the doctor again, get it explained a bit better than this as it sound as if you're not clear.  I've cut & pasted some info from Cancer UK website - don't be alarmed, it's good for info!  it explains dysplasia & HPV

''Dysplasia means 'abnormal growth'. It is a word that you may find on a biopsy report or a smear test result. It tells you that the cells that were examined under the microscope were abnormal. But they weren't cancer. 

If you think of a long line, with a normal cell at one end and a cancer cell at the other, the line represents the range of abnormal cells that can be found anywhere in between. Dysplastic cells can be very slightly abnormal or very severely abnormal. If they are very severely abnormal, a cancer is more likely to develop from them in the future. If they are only slightly abnormal then they may go back to normal on their own. But this depends on what type of cells they are and how many of them are abnormal, so you would need to ask your own doctor about that. 

Sometimes the word dyskaryosis is used to refer to abnormal cells. A dyskaryotic cell has an abnormal nucleus.  The nucleus is the centre of the cell where the genes are.  Dyskaryosis has similar implications to 'dysplasia'.''

HPV and cervical cancer

Some types of HPV can increase the risk of developing cervical cancer, particularly types 16, 18, 31, 33 and 45. They are called high risk types. Almost all women with cervical cancer have at least one of these types of HPV in the cells of their cervix.

Of the different types of HPV, types 16 and 18 cause about 7 out of 10 (70%) cancers of the cervix. The other types cause most of the remaining 30% of cervical cancers.

It is important to remember that most women with high risk HPV don’t develop cervical cancer. We know from research that other factors affect whether you develop a cancer, such as how well your immune system is working or whether you smoke. Women who smoke and have a high risk type of HPV infection are more likely to go on to get cervical cancer.

Remember that regular cervical screening will pick up abnormal cervical cells before they become cancerous. So even if you have HPV and smoke, you can prevent cervical cancer if you go for screening when you are invited.

People with low immunity also have an increased risk of cervical cancer. Your immunity may be low because you take certain medicines for another condition, or because you have an illness that affects your immunity, such as HIV or AIDS. If you have low immunity, it is particularly important to have regular cervical screening.''

Hope this helps - sorry it's a long read!

Sharon