Worried

Hi folks,
After being urgently refered to gynae to check for poss cc/ovarian cancer, i saw the doctor at the hospital a week last thurs, i had an internal but she couldnt get past my cervix to take cells (?) fast tracked again for ultrasound and colposcopy, i had the ultrasound yesterday and all i understood from the lady was that she didnt see cysts ( i was asking) but no other info but she was measuring things, i have my colposcopy on wed and tbh i feel sick with worry, like many ladies on here its the waiting that really gets to you, i have low lying heaviness snd achy pains all the time in my lower abdomen, my mum was diagnosed with cc at 45 ( i am 41) and she had breast cancer at 60 ( and still going and due to celebrate her 70th next week) so with the family history i can honestly say it all is petrifying me, did anyone get a ‘heads up’ in the ultrasound scans and also how have people found the colposcopy? And do the results take ages or if its bad news do you find out quicker? Sorry for rambling but alot of questions xx

Hey love, 

Let me start out by saying that I know it's nearly impossible to tell yourself not to worry, but just keep in mind that whatever happens, there are so many options out there to make sure you come out the other end a-ok. Look at your mom, for example! She's had two types of cancer and is still rocking! Yes, it's scary when there's a family history but she's a great example that even when it can happen, you can still be ok. It doesn't automatically mean it's a death sentence IF that were to happen. 

I went for a pap in the summer of 2015 (I'm in my 30s and it was my first in a few years - bad girl me!) and they found high grade changes on the smear. I went in for a colposcopy and due to the nature of the cells, they recommended the LEEP procedure which I had done in October. When they biopsied the removed tissue, they found a 1mmx3mm cancerous lesion. 

Since then, I've gone for colposcopies every 6 months and all of them have been normal. Colposcopies sound a lot scarier than they are. I'd say they're basically like intense smears. They scrape the cervical surface as they do with smears, and with the one I had (and I assume probably all others) they use a little spooley-looking thing to scrape the donut hole of the cervix. It's a little uncomfortable but it only lasts a few seconds and then it's over. Some cramping is expected, as you get with smears sometimes, but it's really no biggie. With mine, they didn't call to tell me my results were normal, which of course left me on pins and needles waiting for "the call." If treatment is needed, they'll get in touch with you to discuss it, which in my experience is usually within 2-3 weeks. I've just made a habit of being a bee in their britches and calling every week to see if they have results so I can stop worrying xo

Everything will be ok, one way or the other <3