Worried out of my mind that I have cervical cancer

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm 20 years old and have been sexually active for just over 2 years.

Over the past year I experienced discomfort during sex but thought nothing of it. This pain started to get worse and I also started getting a large amount of clear watery discharge everyday so I decided to go to the doctors. She examined me and sent me for an ultra sound of my abdomen which came back clear. Since then, I have had light bleeding a couple of times after sex, and my discharge has turned into dark brown stringy discharge mixed with blood which I have almost everyday. I have been back to the doctors and she said she thinks it may look like a cervical ectropian and has sent me for a colposcopy. However, because it is not due to an abnormal smear it is not seen as urgent so I am having to wait a long time for my appointment.

My lower back is starting to constantly ache and I never feel right, almost as though I know something is wrong. I know I am very young but I'm so scared that I have cervical cancer and it is not going to be caught early enough. My doctor said the discharge could be caused by me back to backing my pill but I've been on this for over a year and it has never happened before.

What are the chances that I have something seriously wrong? Am I just irrationally worrying?

I would push for a diagnosis, to put your mind at rest.I would imagine that if they thought it was cancer they wouldn't leave it so long, and it probably is the least likely explanation. 

Personally I would not take the pill as studies have shown it quadruples the risk of cervical cancer. I got really distrustful when I started reading about this, and how all medical sites are downplaying the risks and saying 'the benefits outweigh the risks.' The risk falls quickly if you stop taking it. 

I use natural fertility methods. There are apps you can get (and you can use condoms for when you are fertile). 

Hello,

It’s Meghan from Jo’s, I just wanted to offer some support and information. Firstly, Hollie123x any changes to our bodies, that we aren’t used to, can be really scary, but it sounds really positive that your doctors are listening to you and carrying out tests. I really hope they go well and please do call our Helpline if you want any further support or information. The number is 0808 802 8000.

Secondly, I wanted to provide you with further information on the link between the contraceptive pill and cervical cancer. Here at Jo’s we really advocate following the advice and information from medical experts.

There are different things that can increase someone’s risk of developing cervical cancer which you can see on our web pages here . Currently, there are different statistics about how much the pill affects risk with a 2017 study showing that pill users do not have an overall increased risk of cancer over their lifetime[1]. Taking the pill can also have many health benefits for some users, from helping with period pain and regularity, to reducing the risk of some other cancers[2].

Any increase in risk happens while you are taking the pill and for around five years after you stop taking it. However, it is important to remember that it is a small increase, especially when compared to other factors that carry greater risk like not attending cervical screening and smoking. Your GP will be able to advise whether it is best for you to start taking or continue to take the pill. Please talk to your GP if you have any concerns.

I really hope that was helpful but please get in touch if you have any questions. 

Best wishes,

Meghan

Support Services Administrator 

Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust

[1] Iversen L. et al, ‘Lifetime cancer risk and combined oral contraceptives: the Royal College of General Practitioners' Oral Contraception Study’, Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 2017.

[2] Gierisch M. et al, ‘Oral contraceptive use and risk of breast, cervical, colorectal, and endometrial cancers: a systematic review’, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2013.