Worried about the future after LLETZ

Hi everyone

Woken up very tearful after a painful biopsy last night where my consultant more or less confirmed I’d need treatment for abnormal cells. He said he can’t tell for sure if it’s CIN2 or CIN3 but they look quite deep & quite a large area so will need to have them removed under general anaesthetic.

All of the potential risks seem to be more likely when you have a larger part of your cervix removed. Which sounds like it will be happening to me. I am so scared for what this might mean for my fertility, cervical narrowing and thinning etc. I’m only 25 and want to have children in the next couple of years. Not sure how long I’d have to wait after treatment and considering I’ve had bad news the whole way along this process, I’m not optimistic that it’ll be straight forward. Not to mention the potential emotional side effects of the treatment, when I’m prone to poor mental health anyway.

Im also worried about the future, continuous monitoring and tests & the anxiety that comes with that. I know there’s a test for cure at 6 months & I know I’ll be so worried it’s come back and I’ll need more treatment meaning more risk of complications.

How frequently do they monitor you after treatment provided all is well at the 6 month mark? I just feel like this is my life forever now.

Sorry if this sounds depressing or dramatic I’m just really struggling, in pain, & feeling a bit rubbish about it all. It all feels super overwhelming.

Hi everyone

Woken up very tearful after a painful biopsy last night where my consultant more or less confirmed I’d need treatment for abnormal cells. He said he can’t tell for sure if it’s CIN2 or CIN3 but they look quite deep & quite a large area so will need to have them removed under general anaesthetic.

All of the potential risks seem to be more likely when you have a larger part of your cervix removed. Which sounds like it will be happening to me. I am so scared for what this might mean for my fertility, cervical narrowing and thinning etc. I’m only 25 and want to have children in the next couple of years. Not sure how long I’d have to wait after treatment and considering I’ve had bad news the whole way along this process, I’m not optimistic that it’ll be straight forward. Not to mention the potential emotional side effects of the treatment, when I’m prone to poor mental health anyway.

Im also worried about the future, continuous monitoring and tests & the anxiety that comes with that. I know there’s a test for cure at 6 months & I know I’ll be so worried it’s come back and I’ll need more treatment meaning more risk of complications.

How frequently do they monitor you after treatment provided all is well at the 6 month mark? I just feel like this is my life forever now.

Sorry if this sounds depressing or dramatic I’m just really struggling, in pain, & feeling a bit rubbish about it all. It all feels super overwhelming.
[/quote]

Reply: you have eloquently identified why it is of course worrying but the stats on treatment are so good and the cure rate so high that it’s worth keeping positive that you have taken the right steps and got yourself on the path for diagnosis and treatment and the medics now need to do their stuff for you! I have spent almost a year feeling the sorts of concerns that you have expressed and now got the positive result I had been waiting for. But it’s a lonely time dealing with the uncertainty. It’s not like something you can look and and say ah it looks better today… it’s all hidden away deep inside you so you can’t really ever get an idea. But post on here and if you can confide in someone lived and close to you and try and distract yourself as much as possible we’dhen you start thinking “what if” . Keep positive, just get through the wait …