What now?! Advice please

Hello :)

First of all I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right category but here goes.

A bit of background - I had my first smear 10 September last year (found high grade dyskaryosis), 24 September I had my Colposcopy (they found CIN3) and 9 October I had my LLETZ op under GA.  I got discharged and told they’d be in touch…

17 October I was rushed back into hospital after SEVERE bleeding turns out I had an infection and it hadn’t been cauterized properly - both of which are apparently very rare! I was in hospital until the 19th as they couldn’t stop the bleeding but I won’t go into the details!  After sending me away with my bag of pain meds and antibiotics, they said they would be in touch in six months for my review.

So off I went, did everything I was supposed to do - not lift for a while, not use a tampon/have sex - the usual.

So my periods after all this were awful, really heavy and really painful - I put it down to the fact my little cervix had taken quite a beating and thought nothing more of it.  I used a tampon for the first time mid January and it wasn’t pleasant so haven’t used one since, my partner and I have barely had sex and when we do it is painful and hurts afterwards - again I tried to brush this off as nothing. 

It wasn’t until my mum had mentioned about my six month review that I started thinking about everything again and started googling and coming  up with all sorts of outcomes (I have a tendency to panic and get worked up). 

My six month review should be in April I phoned my GP to see if I would have to make the appointment myself, and the receptionist said they would make the appointment but she wasn’t sure if it would be with my GP or back at the Gyno unit at hospital, she said I should definitely have a letter by the end of Feb though.  Although I haven’t.

So I have a few questions and if any of you lovely ladies could help me (or put my mind at rest) I’d be very grateful…

When you had your LLETZ done did you have to go back to hospital or to your GP for your six month review?

And with regards to periods and the pain down there - is this normal?  Am I just worrying for nothing?

Thank you in advance - and sorry it was such a long post!!

Holly x

Hi Holly 

sorry to hear about your experience. Just off the record, after my first Lletz i experienced discomfort and bleeding after sex - but this started about 4months after the Lletz (i know!) and I had colposcopy and smear and it was all clear. I also realized the bleeding would happen just before my period was due - but I have been ok for the last year (well, I simply dont have sex just before my period is due..:). 

As for your questions, I was seen by the actual gynae (he was private, but does NHS procedures too) who did the Lletz - 5months after (because of the bleding). And now, after my 2nd Lletz he will see me again in 6months time for a smear and colposcopy. I need to make an appointment with his secretary. 

I have always had  heavy periods so Lletz did not change anything there. i have never had any pain and again, this has not changef after Lletz either. i would advise you to see your GP for a consultation, just in case... he/she will most likely semd you for colposcopy because April is almost here..

x

Hi Evie

Thank you for replying :)

Ah right, so the pain and whatnot it’s probably normal then! - Phew I can stop worrying now!  I think I forget just how much of a battering it took, when I got admitted into hospital because of the major bleeding, they had to burn it and pack it three times, which was the most horrific experience ever - that was worse than the LLETZ itself!

Okay, I think I’ll give them a call to see what’s going on.  Thank you for your advice

xxx