What does 'viral change' mean?

Hi all

I had been given my cone results over the phone but have now received a copy of the letter which they have sent to my GP and am a bit confused about one of the phrases they've used so just wondered if any of you had heard it before....before I phone to see what it means :)

It says that there was no evidence of residual invasive malignancy but that there was some 'focal CIN 1 and viral change present'. Now CIN1 I understand and was already told that on the phone but what is viral change?

I hate getting these letters from the hospital, every single time they chuck a new phrase in which confuses me :)

thanks!

Hi, 

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine it refers to your HPV status. For example, it could be that you had HPV at the time of your diagnosis, but since your surgery it has resolved; I know there is certainly a current theory in medical science that treatment can trigger the appropriate immune response to eliminate the HPV. 

As I say, I don't know for sure if this is what it refers to, but on the other hand I can't imagine what else it could refer to. If there was anything of any concern at all within that they would have got you in and spoken to you, so although I know it's easier said than done, try not to worry about it. 

Annabel. x

Thanks for your message - I think you are probably right :) x