Well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma

I’m really confused, i don’t know who else to talk to. I got diagnosed as hpv negative a few years ago so had to have screenings every year to check for changes to my cervix. I hd a screening in December and in January this year they rushed me in for an urgent colposcopy because the screen showed there were high grade abnormal cells. When I went for the colposcopy they did the Lletz treatment straight away which I just wasn’t prepared for mentally or emotionally. I went through the healing process and had to wait 8 weeks for a letter to come through confirming everything needed to get rid of was successfully excised. At this point I still didn’t know what they meant. I had been in forums and seen people talking about cin 1, 2 and 3 and the chances of the abnormal cells being cancerous were like 1 in a 1000.
I had a face to face consultation last week and the doctor started talking about a 10 year plan. I had to ask outright what was taken…? What degree of ‘abnormal’ were the cells? And finally got an answer… They were well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma.
I’ll have another colposcopy in 3 months then another at 6months and screening every year for 10 years now to check it doesn’t come back.

I’m relieved to know they got rid of the dangerous cells but I’m also in shock that does that mean it was cancer? I have spent the past week feeling a mix of emotions whereas one of my friends said (pretty much) oh I just need to get over it, as if it was cancer then it’s gone now so it’s done and dusted. Just not sure how I’m supposed to feel. It is normal to feel a bit overwhelmed.

Hi Aerosaz,

Don’t worry, you’re not alone in finding things very overwhelming. I guess you mean tested HPV positive a few years ago, not negative - or they would not have done screenings every year. The answer is yes - you have had cancer. The good news is that the cells were contained, and well differentiated - it was clear to see where they were, and that there were in one area and this was removed. So you had cancer, but it is gone. It had not developed into a tumour; it was very early stages.

The 10 year follow up plan is an excellent idea! It sounds like a long time but I would think it’s pretty standard. My husband had a precancerous polyp removed from his bladder (it was found incidentally during a prostate op) and he had 10 years of yearly follow up investigations. It didn’t come back and he’s now discharged.

It is overwhelming, of course, but I think it’s very positive. You’re clear, and the follow-up will make sure you stay clear. Time to be relieved that you were unlucky to get cancerous cells, but lucky that it was caught early, and you need to get on with life with confidence. Xx

Thank you, you make it very simple and clear. I just wish the doctor would have been clearer :see_no_evil: yes it’s positive they found it and acted quickly. I think I was just spending so much time preparing myself that what they did was merely preventative and chances of it being cancerous were slim that i didn’t think of anything else. Good to also hear a positive outcome after ten years of follow ups for your partner.
Thank you and best wishes xx

1 Like

Hi Aerosaz

Sounds like you had an ‘in situ cervical carcinoma (cancer)’ as opposed to an invasive cancer - the latter requires more aggressive treatment such as a radical hysterectomy or chemo-radiotherapy:

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/cervical-cancer/incidence-in-situ

It’s always a shock to get a cancer diagnosis and I think only those who’ve experienced it can really understand how it feels. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed even if it’s found at a very eary stage. All the best going forward.

x

1 Like

9 years ago I had LLETZ to remove an abnormal area from my cervix. Less than 2 weeks later I was called in to discuss the results - I had squamous cell carcinoma and they weren’t sure they’d been able to remove it all. I had to have a knife cone biopsy to remove a larger area to ensure there were clear margins. Like you, I then had a follow up colposcopy a few months later and am now almost coming to the end of my ten year colposcopys. I understand it’s very scary but it sounds like theyre confident they’ve removed it all for you. After my operation the consultant said the nurses had done such a good job with the LLETZ procedure they’d removed all of it. Try not to worry too much - you’re in safe hands & you’ll be kept a close eye on now x

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, that’s really encouraging and reassuring. Glad yours was such a success! x