Waiting to see if I need a historectomy and driving myself mad

Hi Ladies, I just wanted to say I had a hysterectomy today for CGIN. I’m 42 with two children but it still wasn’t a easy decision.

I have to say I was petrified and since having my first ever abnormal smear in May this year the whole process has consumed me. Tonight I feel relieved it’s over with and hopefully once I’m recovered this will all be behind me. If anyone has any questions I’m happy to answer them. I know my situation is different as it was still precancerous but if I can help, I will. xx

2 Likes

So sorry to hear what everyone is and has gone through. Im new to this forum ive recently been diagnosed with CC. Had MRI ans now waiting for pet scan. Its all so terrifying. Im not sure what stage i am at yet from what i believe i heard (information just doesnt seem to go in) its not earliest of stages but not advanced. I have no idea what that means when looking at all the terminology. Im trying to stay positive. The thought of having to have a hysterectomy is destroying me im hoping and praying i have other options but clueless with it all. Such a minefield obsessing over info

Hi LJ, sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. To be honest, there are not really ‘options’ for treatment. Your treatment will be based on the stage, size and spread of your cancer. If it has spread outside the cervix, unless it is extremely local and a hysterectomy and lymphectomy will deal with it, then you will be put forward for radiotherapy and chemotherapy, because you will need to be treated systemically. If you are young, pre-menopausal, and want children, and there is a small contained area in the cervix alone, you may be offered a trachelectomy, which removes the cervix but not the womb. Everyone’s case has to be taken separately. The important thing for you is that you are properly informed and investigated, so if you don’t think you’ve had things explained to you, get on to your team and make sure someone explains things properly. The PET scan is really important because it will look for cancer throughout your body and believe me, they will treat to cure you. Everyone wants a success story, and this can be treated. Xx

Thank you for messaging. I keep obsessively reading about treatments as im petrified of it all. Im 35 and hoped for a child but i know i have to do whats necessary to get rid of it. Such an awful time. Devastates me to know how low ive felt and how many of us have gone through and are going through this

I’m so sorry, LJ - such a young age and knowing what changes this will bring to your life. The best scenario would be a very small tumour ‘in situ’ which can be removed with a LLETZ or knife cone procedure, leaving your cervix and womb still functional. Try not to keep ‘Googling’ - it’s actually not going to help you to deal with the outcome in terms of your mental health whilst you’re waiting for the scan results. This is a horrible time for everyone as you don’t know what you’re dealing with. Try to be brave and put your mind to other things until you have something solid to focus on - and you will get through this. X

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and advice. Its very much appreciated and a lot more positive than google