urghhh waiting sucks!

I've finally plucked up the courage to post! Although this is my first post I have found a lot of comfort over the past few weeks lurking in the background and reading other posts. I started to feel a bit bad Just lurking though so I decided to come and introduce myself! I'm 30 and was told 3 weeks ago I have Cervical Cancer.

I had no symptoms and this was detected through a routine smear. I had a borderline glandular smear last May, then a repeat one in November so I was called for a colposcopy and biopsy Christmas week. Then I got the dreaded news in January. As I was in the Cervical Check system I was then referred to a Gynae oncologist. I live in Ireland by the way. I met with him for all of 5 minutes where he told me that I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma but on my endocervix up in the neck of my womb which he said was very unusual as that type of Cancer is usually on the exocervix? My biopsy outside had come back as no signs of dysplasia ( sorry for my spelling ?). This started 3 weeks of utter mayhem!

I have since had an MRI , a Pet scan, a CT scan and today I had a Cone Biopsy, d and c and an examination under anaesthetic. When I came around I was told he also did a Letz treatment. Although I don't know how he did both Letz and Cone biopsy ? He told me today was an investigative procedure and that I would go meet him in 2 weeks to discuss the results of all my scans, biopsies together. Another 2 weeks! Nooooooo. The waiting is so hard!  Although I do feel a relieved I have had every kinda test I could possibly have done and that today is over with and that possibly some of the cancer is gone. Although I have a vague recollection of him telling me in the recovery room that things looked ok. I was so excited by this( after having been told no information over the last few weeks) I then in my zonked state asked him for a Hug ! A hug ! He promptly told me he doesn't hug patients. How embarrassing. So not only do I have to face the man after he poked and prodded my lady parts I also have the embarrassment of asking him for a hug. I think I need a glass of wine !

Take care ladies

C  

Hi,

I am also a long time lurker but your post inspired me to register! I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I hope everything goes ok when you get your results! I had lletz treatment 3 weeks ago and received a letter on Saturday asking me to come in on Valentines Day (!!!) to discuss my biopsy results with a consultant so I know exactly how your feeling about the waiting. It really is a horrible time and unfortunately I don't have any advice on how to make it easier as I'm struggling to get through it myself! Your comment to the doctor asking for a hug did make me smile though! Don't worry I'm sure that's not the strangest request he has had from someone coming around before!!! 

Anyways im sure some of the wonderful ladies on here will have some good advice for you, reading a lot of their stories has made me feel better about the whole thing and I'm convinced I'm now an expert on cervix's!!

A

Ah your post made me laugh a hurty laugh!!

With that sense of humour you will get through it for sure. Consultants etc are only humans not demi gods!!

I gave my GP a hug, I stayed with a handshake for the consultant!!

Don't be afraid to make a nuisance of yourself though. Ring/email for answers and reassurance if you feel you need it.

I found my GP a good person to talk to, and my Macmillan Nurse has been fabulous.

You can have a virtual hug from me. May not be a Consultant but I can pretend if you like!!!

Keep on keeping on...it's all any of us can do.

Class,! you made me laugh, thank feck for the good ol' Irish humour!  It will surely see you through on your 'down' days!  Keep it up - you can still have a laugh even in the face of terror.  Cheers!

Made me laugh too, but do not worry about his response, he's just a man and was probably embarrassed but flatterred I'm sure.  

When I came round after the exploratory my consultant said he would come and see me on the ward as I would be too groggy

to take it in straight after the anaesthetic. Same consultant saw me through my treatment and right up to my 5 year all clear

when he was buzzing. Said I was his last paient of the day and after the quick examination spent about half an hour telling me

about his charity work and his planned swim across Lake Windermere despite the fact he only learnt to swim that year as part My husband wondered why I had been in there so long.

Made me laugh too, but do not worry about his response, he's just a man and was probably embarrassed but flatterred I'm sure.  

When I came round after the exploratory my consultant said he would come and see me on the ward as I would be too groggy

to take it in straight after the anaesthetic. Same consultant saw me through my treatment and right up to my 5 year all clear

when he was buzzing. Said I was his last paient of the day and after the quick examination spent about half an hour telling me

about his charity work and his planned swim across Lake Windermere despite the fact he only learnt to swim that year as part My husband wondered why I had been in there so long.