Traumatized and scared

Hello everyone. I'm still a bit shaky and absolutely terrified. 

I'm 28 and had my first smear (late I know) this year. To my surprise it came back with low grade dyskaryosis and HPV positive. Before attending the colposcopy I read around this forum and felt a bit reassured about the procedure.

Unfortunately today it went really bad. I proceeded to get in the room with the doctor and 2 nurses, and I had a lot of question and felt absolutely rushed by the doctor, it seemed like he just wanted to get it done. I was very scared and when they had a look at my cervix the nurse said it looked good. Then they proceeded to put the substance on it and it came out bright white. It seemed extremely dense and white to me, I asked if it was normal and before I had the time to say anything else the doctor proceeded to take 3 biopsies and mumbled something. I didn't feel pain but I was extremely light headed and almost passed out. When I felt better I got dressed and asked again if it looked low grade like the smear said. He said it actually looks severe and I'll get my results soon.

I wasn't told anything about taking painkillers, how long should I wait before having sex and I was just showed to the door. I am absolutely out of my mind with worry.i thought the procedure was gonna reassure me but I left the clinic traumatized. How often does low grade dyskaryosis turn out to be severe? What if the treatment doesn't get rid of it completely? I'm shattered and afraid my body will never clear the HPV.

Silvia 

1 Like

Hi TNT,

More often than not if they feel it is very severe they won't do the punch biopsies and will go straight to a LLETZ (Large Loop Excision of the Transformation Zone). Although, in some hospitals they never do this on the first visit.

The punch biopsy alone can prompt the body to heal itself so some hospitals prefer to go down that route first.

Whether it is severe or not please be rest assured that you are in the right hands now. When you get your results (likely in 2-6 weeks - that seems to be the average) they will tell you next steps.

You will be monitored closely and how frequently will be determined by the results of your biopsy.

Please try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). Fill your time with activities that help keep your mind off it all if you can, and use this forum and the helpline to talk as much as you need xx

All my love.
I keep telling myself that with any luck whatever was in me no longer is ( I had my lletz 24th May for what looked mild but was cin 2 at biopsy

1 Like

Hi TNT,

It seems like you have not had a very pleasant experience at all. I am sorry it went that way for you.

Although I have always been dealt with in a lovley, caring and considerate way, I am currently in a similar position to you but awaiting grades for both CIN and VAIN. This was my 7th smear, all of them which was HPV positive. In December last year I didnt have any CIN at all but had a procedure that took away all of my VAIN 3 (first time I have ever had VAIN). Two days ago I went back for a review and the VAIN has come back in larger surface areas and in more areas as well as now having a very large amount of CIN. This is the most I have ever seen in the 7 colposcopys, km so frightened that they will both come back high grade.

I know its hard and will certainly be a struggle but please try and stay positive and keep your mind busy. Feel free to chat if you ever need and advice or support.

Sending well wishes.

Naomi x

2 Likes